Sign in to follow this  

Oil coming out of tranny over flow tube

Hey,

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

My buddy has an '06 CRF 450R and between rides (when it's parked in the garage) it leaves significant puddles of oil on the floor. I was thinking the seal behind the water pump might be the cause, oil going from the engine side to the tranny. ? I haven't paid that much attention to it, it's not my bike and my buddy is an adult - he can take care of his own ride. But, that doesn't mean I won't try to help him out.

I am 100% sure it's coming out of the tranny over flow tube.

I don't think he's lost too much engine oil ? But like I said, I haven't paid too much attention.

Thanks for your help/insight

The tranny doesnt have a overflow tube. The tube is part of the crankcase breather system

I know on the 250R there is a trans breather tube, I would think the 450 has the same thing. They are essentially the same motor design, 450s just bigger...

• Like 1

It's entirely possible that my buddy added oil without draining first, I'll ask him again. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, but he spent half an hour looking for a metric crescent wrench the other day - not the most mechanically inclined by any means.

Thanks for the help !

Take care,

AL

Just drain the trasmission oil and put 800cc in there so you know you are square.