Sign in to follow this  

rounded nut on cylinder

im having a problem getting a rounded nut off..its akx85...and its the nut that is above the water pump and is pretty hard to get in there without moving the power valve arm assembly...any suggestions to get it off...

bump anyone...tried the chisel and hammer meathod but it still wnt move...wats the torque spec on the nut anyway

i dnt think that will fit over the nut cus there really isnt any room above it the cylinder sorta sticks out over it..

I'm not familiar with that specific bike. Maybe you can grind down the outside of a box end wrench, thinning it out and use that? I've done it before, but like I said, I don't know exactly what the situation is without a pic.

cut the nut in half with a dremel tool. it's probably not overtight but corroded to the stud.

yeah it is corroded on the stud..the other ones were too...in this picture its the one under the power valve arm...http://www.lukesracing.com/kx85cyl.jpg

not really any room for vise grips or a socket to fit over it....but i think im gonna have to cut into it

Put some liquid wrench on the threads and let it sit for a couple minutes. Then put some more and use a vise.

Good luck.

find some "KROIL" or "PB BLASTER" in that order, and get yourelf some of the MAP (yellow can) gas it gets hot fast. het the nut up and give it a spray with the oil (do not inhale). give it a half ohour or so and give it another shot then see if you can get it loose.

do not forget to threaten the little piece of (^&(^ as this seems to scare it off. you may also be able to find a small set of vice grip or mole grip brand locking pliers. those off prand things are junk and only good for keeping the tech manual from blowing away

yeah it is corroded on the stud..the other ones were too...in this picture its the one under the power valve arm...http://www.lukesracing.com/kx85cyl.jpg

not really any room for vise grips or a socket to fit over it....but i think im gonna have to cut into it

If you grind where the red is, you should be able to squeeze the wrench in there. A six point box would be ideal. It's alled "homemade special tool". Snap-on sells thin walled box end wrenches.

22768805.jpg

yeah i thought about sanding it down, the close end side and maybe it would fit...but i think ive decided to just use a rotary tool and cut a slit in it