Sign in to follow this  

Buying A DRZ400E Tomorrow - Help!

First off thanks for any input I get here, as many of you DRZ owners have many many miles logged on your bikes and I would appreciate any input. I may purchase a 2001 DRZ400E, dual sported with CA plates tomorrow. The license and registration are current, no out of state plates or anything like that. I'm going to test ride the bike for 15 mins or so, are there any things I should look out for on the bike, common problems or anything I would notice while riding it. Basically anything like notchy shifting, clutch chatter, wierd vibrations, etc. I recently bought an SM and love it but can't pass up this bike for offroad use if it's in good shape. Anyways any help would be appreciated as I don't have much DRZ experience, Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you have a good handle on what to look for. If the bike has been street ridden, it's going to have looser shifting due to the mileage. I'd look at the chain to see what kind of care the owners takes on the details of the bike. If it's dirty or oxidized, it's going to tell you he is the type of person that might stretch out oil changes, filter cleanings and basic maintenance.

The DRZ is fairly overbuilt so it's a solid package. (check fork seals and look at the elastomer on the rear shock for dry rot as well).

I just recently bought a 2001 DRZ E. It is a great bike! However, I rebuilt all of the frame components and forks, and installed springs suitable for my weight. If it has the silver ACCT, replace it. I guess almost everyone on this forum says to go with an MCCT as you probably know. My steering stem bearings were toast, and I replaced them (All Balls Bearings). I pulled my swing arm after 1/2 hour of pounding on the swing arm pivot bolt with a brass drift and BFH. It finally came loose, and all of my rear suspension bearings were well lubed, and in good shape, thanks to the PO and zerk fittings. I also performed a cylinder leak down test on the motor, and it was good, so it seems that my top end is good at least. Oh, and when I rebuilt the front forks, the fork oil was thick goo. I changed that.

I don't have much advice on riding diagnostics, but I would definetly perform a leakdown test on the cylinder, not a compression test. When I performed a compression test, my results were mixed, because of the automatic decompression valve. I used a 40 psi leak down tester. I would also check the clutch and shifting, and make sure the clutch pack is working, and the tranny is shifting smoothly.

Let me know how it goes if you buy it. I am curious about other people's modifications on the E.

Good luck!

Great, thanks for the suggestions, hey dewdogg where are you located at in ca? Just wondering, you can't have to many riding buddies! Thanks guys!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629406

with my CA plated 2000E. In a nutshell, if the bike has been used mostly in dirt... multiply the indicated miles by 3 to get effective miles. The weak link of the bike in my case was the original "2 piece valves".

Also plan on going through the suspension linkages, especially if there is no history of maintenance of these components.

The good news is after having Eddie go though the motor and ESP through the suspension, I should be good to go for many more years with my "ugly" DRZ...

HTH

Randy from Burbank

Great, thanks for the suggestions, hey dewdogg where are you located at in ca? Just wondering, you can't have to many riding buddies! Thanks guys!

I am in Santa Barbara. Several of us DS people here ride to our local riding areas including Rockfront, Colson Canyon, Camuesa (upper Oso), Divide Peak, and we often truck our bikes up to Ballinger and Gorman.

We would be glad to meet up with you, or plan an event.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629406

with my CA plated 2000E. In a nutshell, if the bike has been used mostly in dirt... multiply the indicated miles by 3 to get effective miles. The weak link of the bike in my case was the original "2 piece valves".

Also plan on going through the suspension linkages, especially if there is no history of maintenance of these components.

The good news is after having Eddie go though the motor and ESP through the suspension, I should be good to go for many more years with my "ugly" DRZ...

HTH

Randy from Burbank

Randy,

I read through your thread with great interest. This is what makes TT great! What happens next?

One more thing to check is the year it was plated. The California DMV stopped plating dirt bikes a few years ago, (call DMV to find out when) some people still slip them through un detected. If it was plated before the deadline it’s grandfatherd in and you should have no problem, if it was slipped in after the deadline you could have the plate revoked, I understand this is happening more and more. I was going plate a CRF450 but after learning of this I decided on the DRZ S

P.S. I live in Solvang. Lots of good riding in the backcountry mid week, I went to little pine a while back and only saw one other rider. If you can ride midweek pm me.

Jim

One more thing to check is the year it was plated. The California DMV stopped plating dirt bikes a few years ago, (call DMV to find out when) some people still slip them through un detected. If it was plated before the deadline it’s grandfatherd in and you should have no problem, if it was slipped in after the deadline you could have the plate revoked, I understand this is happening more and more. I was going plate a CRF450 but after learning of this I decided on the DRZ S

I recently registered a 2001 E, and the body type model was "MX". So, it should not be a problem for an '01. A word to the wise though, if you don't already have an AAA membership, get one, and do your title changes at the Autoclub, and avoid the :):D DMV!