Sign in to follow this  

big 6 race at ridgecrest

what gearing are we talking about? I have heard some of the big 6 races are tighter and some require just wide open gearing. I did the race at 29 palms in april and felt I could have used a little more top speed.

Is their anyone who does all of them that could give me a good idea? I ride a 2 stroke kx 250 so gearing is a little more crucial than riding a 4 stroke. I appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Greg

it might be pushing it but the weekend after next. if not then, then the weekend after that for sure.

gear for top speed, there is lot and lots of open stretches.......my friend lives right on the course!! woohoo! bbq and watching the race (unless i grow some balls this year and actually race)

Go up one on the C/S and you're good. I had an 02 YZ250 2 stroke that I raced at Viewfinders for a couple of years, one year I ran stock gearing and it was OK but the next year (04) it was better with taller gears. There is only one place on the course (the paved straight) where you will hold it open in 5th for more than a couple of seconds and use the extra top speed. With stock gearing I showed 70 on the radar trap every lap, but I was able to hold it open on several dirt sections. With taller gears I got 74-76 on the radar, I probably went the same speed on the dirt as the year before but didn't have to scream the bike as hard.

Really fun race, I've ridden it every year since '03. Planning on doing at least 2 classes this year, maybe 3 or 4 depending on my familys schedule.

5.9, get out there and race!!

Ill probably just race the unclassified race on my KTM, it has nice long legs.......my friend just bought a YZ250 so he will be entering too.👍

Ill probably just race the unclassified race on my KTM, it has nice long legs.......my friend just bought a YZ250 so he will be entering too.👍

Top speed isn't nearly as important as it might seem for a race like the Viewfinders. Only the fastest riders are doing more than 50-60mph anywhere except the pavement, and even there if you can run 70+ you won't lose much time. The bulk of the course is 3rd-4th gear on a 450 or 3rd to 5th on a 250 2 stroke. Pick whatever bike you can ride most comfortably, for a long time, as fast as you can go without ever crashing. Pretty much a 85-90 percent pace for me.

The VFs do a great job, I've ridden GPs, moto and desert stuff for 25 years and the Ridgecrest race is as good as it gets! Even better, it's in our backyard!

yeah its a big toss-up because my 450 is much faster and less shifting, but my KTM with the re-valved suspension is just soooooooo cush....decisions decisions!