Sign in to follow this  

You know that small bolt for the oil cover on the XR4?

Please help if you have a suggestion...

I was being a Jacka$$ tonight and thought I could buzz everything off my bike with my DeWalt to do a quick oil change. Everything went well coming apart, but I sheared that small 7/8" length bolt on the left side of the oil filter cover off putting it back on!:D Cut it off halfway. Just shoot me! :worthy: I have a ride for tomorrow, but that bolt is so G-damn small, how can I get the remains out?? Will the longer bolt hold it for tomorrow?

Anything you have to offer would be appreciated!:)

when you take the cover off is the nubb sticking up to grab on? is so a fresh pair of regualr vice grip should spin it out if you have one use a heat gun to heat up the area. if there is no nub to grab and its snapped below the engine casing drill a nice srtaight hole with a smaller reverse drill bit

• Like 1

More than likely, the twisted off bolt isn't bottomed out on the inside of the case, that is a good thing.

Like Pete said, use a small left twist drill bit and it might twist out when you drill it.

If not, try an easy-out.

when you take the cover off is the nubb sticking up to grab on? is so a fresh pair of regualr vice grip should spin it out if you have one use a heat gun to heat up the area. if there is no nub to grab and its snapped below the engine casing drill a nice srtaight hole with a smaller reverse drill bit

Thanks guys! Didn't know they made reverse drill bits! Off to Lowes! The bolt snapped off when it got tight and me, being a :) didn't adjust the torque setting on my Dewalt driver! Ugh! What? These things are made of soft lead? :D

Be thankful it snapped and did not just strip the threads out of the hole. While at the hardware store dont forget to get a replacement bolt.

This may sound silly but I have had success in the past. Take two small jewelers screwdrivers (or nails - anything small and pointy) using both together try and walk the screw out a bit. After getting some threads out you can use vice grips or pliers and get it the rest of the way.