Sign in to follow this  

Data needed for Johnson Valley

I am posting this on behalf of Kim and Ken Carpenter

Kim and Ken are veteran land use advocates and unpaid volunteers. Please read the following and take a few minutes and drop them an Email with the data they are requesting. The Partnership for Johnson Valley would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if you have not signed the petition posted below, please do so.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SaveJohnsonValley/?e

Only 2642 signed??????? Come on folks there are over 1millon green/red sticker OHVs

out there. We can do better! Cost not one dime! Just do it!

Wayne Nosala

As some of you know, I have been active behind the scenes in the Johnson Valley (Lucerne Valley) land issues ie., Marine Corps expansion and proposed windmill project.

I am gathering information on behalf of the Partnership for Johnson Valley and have been invited to participate in the Lucerne Valley Economic Development meeting on September 2nd. This is where your help is needed. I am trying to gather as much info on how off-roading financially impacts Lucerne Valley. Think about the past six months and the times you have been out to Lucerne Valley. I need an estimate of how much you guys spend in gas, groceries, restaurant and misc expenses such as hardware store, water, dump fee's etc.

I need the BIG picture to present at this meeting. This info will then be forwarded to the powers that be who are initiating the Marine Corps expansion.

I will be making the same post on the Race-dezert and Pirates 4x4 forums. Please only respond to me once. I want the dollar figure to be big but accurate.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and time. Hopefully, we will make a difference. Should you have any questions for me you can email me at carpentersa5k@msn.com

Thanks again,

Kim C.

I go every other weekend from october - may to JV. during those times I have spent @

gas/diesel $3000

slash x $750

resturant $400

misc $200 I call my misc parts if something

happens to truck, bike, etc...

total $4350

I am normally a day rider @ JV with occasional camping. So most of my stuff is in a cooler but I always fill up the bikes and truck at the 76 station on apple valley road purchase coffee and the local paper. On the way out I usually stop at wendys or some other resturant and buy food. We definetley need everyone who rides there to reply and help save our land areas.

I know the request was for ongoing expenses for the past 6 months however, i included our initial investments as well.

Cost of equipment, rv's, etc...

Property - $50,000, purchased in February 2007

Truck - $30000

Trailer - $24000

Rec-vehicles - $20000

Continuous costs...

Electricity - $150

Food - $1200

Gas - $1000

Misc - $330

Registration for all - $500

As noted prior to me, everyone needs to be heard on this thread. We don't want to lose our places to play!

I try and ride JV a few times a year. I don't usually buy much in Lucerne. Perhaps some gas, but that's about it. I usually do stop in Victorville or Apple valley. Most of my stops are at the shopping center where WalMart is. I stop there just about on every trip for gas, groceries, camping gear, etc.

I'm only a single rider and I don't spend much in the desert . Only about 200.00 $ per year in Lucerne Valley and another 150.00$ at Slash X .

I'm a single rider also, but have a whole heard at times when we hit Cougar Buttes for the long motorhome weekends. Being that any of them, my kids and the squaters that came with the motorhome:p ,won't be on here to speak for themselves, I will answer for all of them. I figured 5 day trips a year in just the work truck, which I will usually only buy food and drink, breakfast/lunch/beer, @$80 per = $400. As for the rust bucket trips, they are usually filled with more drama. I would say with topping the tank in Lucerne $100 per, food for the crew $200 per, and general parts at the hardware/grocery store, or bike part at the cycle supply or the NAPA, which I averaged at $66.66 per trip. With 3 trips a year, could be as high as 5, but I figured on the minimum, thats $1050.00. My total doesn't seem that much also, $1450, but with any luck, everybody will chime in and the group total will be very impressive.

About 5 trips a year with an avarage of 250 dollars for food fuel and other odds and ends gives me a total of about 1,250 a year.

Would be more but i am a cheap bastard....

I live in Big Bear and usually make 5 trips a year with the family and friends, Usually fill the Big F-350 at the Union 76 80.00 and all the bikes another 50.00 = 650.00 per year! And I also weekly fill my Ford explorer at about 60.00to 70.00 about 3,000.00 per year! I hope this helps! :)

Petition signed and comment posted. I was just at JV this past Saturday, almost got heat stroke :). This was only my second time riding in the area but we spent nearly $100 in gas and food in Apple Valley. I plan on riding this area as much as possible in the immediate future in case they start doing a head count. For those that havent ridden this area, get out there, it has everything! Fast, slow, technical rocks, hillclimbs.....

our 4x club and I try making it out to JV at least twice a month oct-april. there is an average of 10 tow vehicles, each of them filling up at least once aprox. $100. always stop at albertsons in apple valley. about $100 for each family. stop for firewood right there off the 247 $100

over span of 6 months times the group of 10.

gas. $12,000

food. $12,000

firewood. $1,200

Total:$25,200

hope this helps

Paul

Petition signed and comment posted. I was just at JV this past Saturday, almost got heat stroke :worthy:. This was only my second time riding in the area but we spent nearly $100 in gas and food in Apple Valley. I plan on riding this area as much as possible in the immediate future in case they start doing a head count. For those that havent ridden this area, get out there, it has everything! Fast, slow, technical rocks, hillclimbs.....

Did you mention rocks?👍

There are some hills over near Means that are covered in rocks, I don't think you can even see any dirt. Not exactly the kinda stuff you fly down.

Did you mention rocks?👍

There are some hills over near Means that are covered in rocks, I don't think you can even see any dirt. Not exactly the kinda stuff you fly down.

Ksrrider - The "Hammers" if you weren't familiar with are in the Means DL area which is a haven for rock crawling. If you're not familiar with those PM me and i'll try and direct you to them!

Did you mention rocks?:worthy:

Yeah I found some pretty technical all rock trails near Cougar Buttes, overheated my bike and almost got into a position that I wasnt able to get out of. Good times! 👍 And yes, lots of rock on some of them hills.

JV10.jpg

Never been there, but really want to go!

Highway 247 (Old Woman Springs Road) south/east exit Boone Road to Means Dry Lake...there's a couple flat spots prior to getting to the lake on the left which is nice, don't have to deal with riders hauling azz right next to your camp site or stay on the lake bed.

Rides to take

* west over the hills to another dry lake, trails, sand hills and the dunes

* north past the whoops to a huge (for JV) sand bowl, keep going past to trails, dirt roads, mines, etc.

* east past more whoops over sand hill to "The Hammers" (rock crawler haven) past that to Giant Rock.

have fun!

Here's what I posted on the D37 website

i always buy gas in Apple Valley or Lucerne instead of Hesperia where they like our money but not necessarily US.

I make it a point to be on fumes when I get there to avoid hauling gas and water up the hill.

I usually put in about 25-30 gallons of gas in the motorhome and bikes ($100), plus I load up on firewood, food, ice and drinks ($50). I always stop at that pizza place on bear valley on the way out and get something to eat on the way home, but that may be in apple valley instead of Lucerne. I would conservatively say that I spend $150 -$200 per race weekend and I normally do about 8-10 per year. If my kids are with me, then its a little more.

I also go out there a few other times marking the course for our enduro. I would say that I am good for about $2000-$2500 per year.

Just spent 100$ in gas, 50$ on snacks and drinks in Lucerne Valley for the Sunday JV ride.

On the average 2 day trip my family of 3 spends $450 on fuel, $90 on food, We also have a RV storage place that aloows free dumping but its $50 a month. There are also other minor expensense totaling out to about $650