Sign in to follow this  

Dripping Gas

Hi I just got a 2006 Yamaha ttr-125L. The guy we bought it from hardly rode it. He left it sitting for 2 years with gas in the tank and carb. My dad and I emptied the tank and the gas that came out was GREEN! After that we cleaned the carb which was full of gunk. Once we got it running we realized that if we left the gas on for any period of time the gas would run out through the overflow. My dad and I didnt clean out the tank. What could be the problem? :)

Thats my boy, shouldn't you be doing homework and not working on your bike:bonk: Good question. I guess we are wondering if the needle valve is getting clogged be the gunk left in the tank (we forgot to glean it out ounce we drained it) and keeping the valve open or could it be something else. Would this cause the fuel to continuously run out while the petcock is left on.. To give you an idea how much fuel is leaking when turned on, It is pretty much like taking the fuel line off and letting it drain on the ground

Sounds like a float needle and seat needs to be replaced and float height adjusted. While you're in there it would be worth doing a thorough cleaning of all the passageways and jets. HTH c good

+1

yep it's probably the float. Since it's an 06, the seat and needle might be ok, just cleaning and setting the float level. Sometimes a rap of the bowl with the handle of a screwdriver will free a sticky float but yours may need cleaning and/or adjusting.

AnimalDan Thanks for the idea, My son (Yamaha99) and I replaced the needle and seat but and it was still leaking. We found it was a combination of float level and crud blocking the seat open. You can check out pic's of what caused the problem on his other thread here http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=681627