Sign in to follow this  

XT350 front wheel parts (spokes, nipples)

I just bought an '89 XT350 with an out of round front wheel. Somebody has tried to fix it before and buggered up most of the nipples. I plan on installing new nipples and some spokes this winter when I will have plenty of time to true the wheel. Should I just get the parts from a dealer or does anybody have a better suggestion for aftermarket stuff? I'm new to this site, sorry if it has been brought up before.

Hey Rheim, I also have an XT350( it's a '92 That a buddy gave me after my DR350SE was stolen)that has a crooked rear rim. I just bought a rim off EVilBay, shipping wasn't too bad, considiring gas prices these days. Good luck w/ your bike & post up some pics, will ya?

Sure thing. It was more dirt bike than street bike when I bought it, knobbies, dead battery, many electrical problems, etc. I'm trying to make it a decent ride for running errands and stuff. That front wheel isn't bad until about 45mph, when it is the worst. I put on some decent dual purpose tires and fixed all the electrical problems and it runs good so far. It is very hard to start when cold though, which will be the next problem to tackle. Years ago I used to have an XL600 (pre-internet days) and I always regretted selling that bike since it was so fun to ride. I haven't had a bike for a few years now so I'm glad to be riding again.

Do a search on 'XT350 Pilot screw' for your starting problems.

Personally, I would go for a new set of OEM spokes. I know mine are all frozen up and so are the ones on my spare evilBay rim. Luckly, they are tight and the wheel is in round. I keep telling myself I'm going to change them in the winter, but I likely won't until there is a problem.

Once you get the wheels trued up, get them balanced. You will likely only have to do it once and it will ride better at higher speeds.