Sign in to follow this  

Why should I buy a new bike?

I have a 01 YZ426 in excellent condition, and just picked up a 99-01 KX250 (not sure of the exact year yet but it was a deal from a friend I couldn't refuse).

I realize these are both bikes that are about a generation behind, having steel frames instead of aluminum, and suspensions that are good but nowhere near the level of current-breed suspensions.

I've been wanting to get a 05-09 YZ250 two stroke, however I can't bring myself to drop the money on it. I only ride for fun. I don't race, but I have been thinking of running some hare scrambles. Even then, I still see guys doing very well in HS on older bikes. Another thing is that for what I paid for my 426 and this KX250, it's still not even half the cost of a new bike.

So why should I buy a new bike? Am I missing out on anything?

I guess one day I should reward myself for all of my hard work and go get something new. Maybe I'll wait until we get direct-injection two strokes.

If you don't know (or care) if your KX is a 99, 00, or 01, you aren't missing anything.

Well, just the bike, once the cops trace down that "hot" machine.

I have a 01 YZ426 in excellent condition, and just picked up a 99-01 KX250 (not sure of the exact year yet but it was a deal from a friend I couldn't refuse).

I realize these are both bikes that are about a generation behind, having steel frames instead of aluminum, and suspensions that are good but nowhere near the level of current-breed suspensions.

I've been wanting to get a 05-09 YZ250 two stroke, however I can't bring myself to drop the money on it. I only ride for fun. I don't race, but I have been thinking of running some hare scrambles. Even then, I still see guys doing very well in HS on older bikes. Another thing is that for what I paid for my 426 and this KX250, it's still not even half the cost of a new bike.

I guess one day I should reward myself for all of my hard work and go get something new. Maybe I'll wait until we get direct-injection two strokes.

How old are you?

If you must get a new bike, get a 02-04 YZ250 instead. I had one and liked it but sold it prematurely.:)

Got an 07 now which is very nice but hardly worth double. The motor on the YZ is VERY fun. Haven't ridden the older KX so I don't know. My 04 YZ motor and this 07 YZ motor have their differences but they aren't huge.

Then again, if your 426 does it for you AND it's in excellent shape - keep it.

if u ride off-road and just for fun you don't need an aluminum frame. it's just for looks then. they are really stiff for off-road play, and not even that much lighter, if at all. i really wanted an aluminum frame yz250 as well, but for what i do it wasn't worth the extra money. the motor is basically the same 02-09.

i'd say for you, you have it good. you have a nice 2-stroke and a nice 4-stroke. ride both so that neither one takes all the burden of abuse and just enjoy them. anything new, either 250 2-stroke or 450 4-stroke, won't be much more powerful and justify the cost.

If you don't know (or care) if your KX is a 99, 00, or 01, you aren't missing anything.

Well, just the bike, once the cops trace down that "hot" machine.

That's a ridiculous comment.

I do care about the model year, it's just not specifically relevant to the question I was asking about that generation of bikes compared to newer bikes.

I don't know what year it is because I haven't taken delivery of it yet. The 99-01 KX250s are very similar, and once I complete the transfer of ownership I will know what year it is. My friend doesn't know offhand, so what's the big deal? What does not knowing the model year have to do with a bike being stolen?

How old are you?

I'm 28, and have been riding since I was 5, including three wheelers, motorcycles, and quads. The last machine I had was a 2002 Honda 400EX (purchased brand new), which was my dune toy. My father had a Yamaha TT-R 250 that I rode when I went back home to visit which got me wanting a motorcycle again, so I got the 426.

if u ride off-road and just for fun you don't need an aluminum frame. it's just for looks then. they are really stiff for off-road play, and not even that much lighter, if at all.

I ride nasty tight, steep, rutted, slippery trails where I rarely get out of second gear. Weight of the 426 hasn't been an issue in these conditions (I think because speed is lower), but whenever I ride a MX track I get tired very quickly. The KX250, despite the steel frame, is noticeably lighter. The center of gravity seems lower too; the 426 feels top-heavy compared to it.

I'm going to hold out for a while and wait to see the next generation YZ250.

I know I'm going to take a beating for this, but if it was me I would ask this question.

I'm 28 years old and do I own a house yet. If the answer is no, I sure the hell wouldn't think about dropping a lot of cash on a new bike. If you raced that might be a little different.

Now that I'm older I kick myself in the azz for not getting a house sooner. From 17 years old to 25 years old I must have spent $100,000 on cars, trucks, bikes and guns. If I would have just got a truck to get me from point a to point b, and a bike that would get me home every time. I would have been way better off spending that money on a house that would make me money over time. :D Now would be the time to buy a house or condo if you have extra money and don't own anything yet.

If you do have a place that you own and can afford a new bike what the hell get one. :)

Sorry just as I get older I sit back and think what the hell was I thinking when I was younger. I think the trick in life is retiring young. You will not be able to if you don't think way ahead.

OK enough of this, just go ride what you have and be safe and have fun.

It all depends on if you are happy with your current bikes.

I own a WR450F 2004 and i'm in love with this bike, i race Enduro and harescrables and i have done all the free mods, i changed the exhaust, i bought new handlebars, new footpegs, a tall seat and the bike is unbeatable. It is a heavy bike because of the steel frame but it is veeeery powerfull and stable and i always felt that it's the ideal bike for me. Recently i had a chance to ride both a KTM450 2007 and a WR450 2007, they both felt very light compared to my WR but i still had a feeling that they hadn't got the ''nerve'' and power i'm used to. Anyway, when the time will come (maybe after 3,4 years) i'll sell my bike to buy a current's year model(possibly used, i'll never buy a new bike again!) but i'll still be missing my bike...:)

I don't buy the weight as an advantage for steel.

I have built 2 aluminum frame bikes and about 10-12 steel frame bikes. My lightest 2 were steel. The aluminum were in the middle.

The difference is FAD. Maybe next year it will be swiss cheeze.

Don

I don't buy the weight as an advantage for steel.

I have built 2 aluminum frame bikes and about 10-12 steel frame bikes. My lightest 2 were steel. The aluminum were in the middle.

The difference is FAD. Maybe next year it will be swiss cheeze.

Don

That's the answer I wanted to hear! I was wondering what is so special about aluminum frames. Honda kicked it all off back in '97. Yamaha didn't switch until 2005 (for the smoker at least) - was there something they knew? Did Yamaha only change because of the BLING factor? Even after the change to aluminum, the Yamaha frames still don't look as trick as those from Kawasaki or Honda.

That's the answer I wanted to hear! I was wondering what is so special about aluminum frames. Honda kicked it all off back in '97. Yamaha didn't switch until 2005 (for the smoker at least) - was there something they knew? Did Yamaha only change because of the BLING factor? Even after the change to aluminum, the Yamaha frames still don't look as trick as those from Kawasaki or Honda.

They may not look as trick as the others (smoker version) because they kept the same geometry of the steelie. Having owned both an 04 and now the 07 the aluminum framed version is lighter. But only slightly more easier to pick up or put on the stand. Handling feels mostly similar. The benefit of going non-perimeter (as is the case on the 05-09 YZ two stroke) IMO is that accessing the carb and shock aren't impossibly difficult unlike the perimeter design found on the Honda two stroke and CRF, KX-F and RMZ bikes.

I think it's all fad as well. I have both (RM and Honda), and the RM handles better, and it is way easier to work on the shock and carb.

In your situation, I'd keep the KX, but maybe look into upgrading the 426, only because the more modern frame geometry aids in handling. If you like both, keep both!

Sure you're missing out on new technology HOWEVER, you're also missing out on the price/payments of a new bike as well. I also have an "elderly" bike (94 Husky 610) of which runs like a top just looks old, has a few slow leaks but does the job. If your bike does what you expect there's no reason to keep up with the Jones'...