Sign in to follow this  

slight hunting/surging

Im having a slight hunt/surge at around idle. it's making my bike reluctant to shut off when i hit the kill button. it had never done that before, but has done it since i switch to an 06 stock exhaust and a larger clarke tank. but it did it when the clarke tank was less than half full. but worse when the tank was full.

any clue what it might be? and is this a lean or rich condition?

i asked this in another thread and got 1 answer but i'd like to get some more. so no offense to that 1 guy who answered me.

My 2003 has been difficult to shut-off with the kill switch as well. I sometimes have to hold the kill switch while basically letting the clutch out in 1st while depressing the rear brake... basically stalling the bike. Mine has been rejetted, and it doesn't do it consistently. It has very low hours on it with stock tank and exhaust. I'll be curious to see the opinions as well.

Im having a slight hunt/surge at around idle. it's making my bike reluctant to shut off when i hit the kill button. it had never done that before, but has done it since i switch to an 06 stock exhaust and a larger clarke tank. but it did it when the clarke tank was less than half full. but worse when the tank was full.

any clue what it might be? and is this a lean or rich condition?

i asked this in another thread and got 1 answer but i'd like to get some more. so no offense to that 1 guy who answered me.

We need a photo of your fuel line. When I first put on my old 3.9 Clarke the line was kinked.:)

The new pipe is making your run rich. Tune with air screw or a leaner pilot or a notch higher on the needle jet. I hope I didn't give you advice earlier.

We need a photo of your fuel line. When I first put on my old 3.9 Clarke the line was kinked.:)

The new pipe is making your run rich. Tune with air screw or a leaner pilot or a notch higher on the needle jet. I hope I didn't give you advice earlier.

idk, if you didn't change avitars so often id know!:D lol j/k. the fuel line looks pretty direct to me. it was too long with the clarke so i cut it alittle. idk maybe u can see it well enough here? http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/x2468/100_0316.jpg

but if it was the fuel line, then it would be lean right? is surging lean or rich related?

OH and where is the air screw in relation to the idle screw? since i know where the idle screw is

and tightening the air screw (righty tighty, so.... clockwise) is more fuel or less fuel?

Check that your tank vent hose is letting air into the tank also just to eliminate it.

and tightening the air screw (righty tighty, so.... clockwise) is more fuel or less fuel?

When you turn the airscrew in(righty tighty) you are allowing less air in, so yes you are increaseing the amount of fuel entering the system

idk, if you didn't change avitars so often id know!:) lol j/k. the fuel line looks pretty direct to me. it was too long with the clarke so i cut it alittle. idk maybe u can see it well enough here? http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/x2468/100_0316.jpg

but if it was the fuel line, then it would be lean right? is surging lean or rich related?

OH and where is the air screw in relation to the idle screw? since i know where the idle screw is

It appears your fuel line is too short. There's lots of brass showing on the carburetor intake port. IMO, it should be full covered with a the hose. There could be air entering that way or the flow is disrupted or even leaking out. It just seems to me that air is getting in there. Lengthen the hose (buy some new fuel line). I just get new line and hold it up there, mark it, cut it, spray WD on both ends if it's a stubborn line, put it on.

kk. ill check the vent hose and get new fuel line.

as for the air/fuel screw. i tried messing with it today but had no idea what i was doing. so it didn't get me far. the manual i downloaded said stock is 1 turn out (or so i think). but mine was way out. like 3 or 4 turns. is that normal?? what should it be at? how do i know when it's optimal?

normal range is 1-2.5 turns out. If yours is out 4 turns then i would switch to a leaner pilot.

• Like 1