Sign in to follow this  

Powervalve---------- causing seizure?

I'm trying to buy a newer bike, I currently have an 02 125sx and I found one locally for a really good price. Its a 2004 125sx. It needs some simple work that will take me a short amount of time and small amount of money, but it also does not run. He says that the top end was just rebuilt but it doesnt run. I asked him if its seized or if it just doesnt start and I'm waiting for his reply. He said previously that it doesnt start becuase of the powervalve...he siad he thinks it was just rebuilt wrong. Is there any possible way that an incorrectly installed PV would prevent the bike from starting? I doubt its seized, becuase he said "i couldnt get it to start up". Even if he seized it somehow, its worth what he is asking. He wants just over a grand and the bike looks like its in extremely good condition.

Okay, got the scoop today. I guess he has had it running but it just bogged right out in the powerband and he didnt want to take it apart so it has been sitting and needs to be cleaned out and re-adjusted. How do I do that? I havent rebuilt a KTM yet.

if it bogged out in the powerband then it could be as simple as a clogged petcock, clogged up carb or as serious as a bad ring/piston...........does it start?

He said that it doesnt run. I know you can put the top end in and have the powervalve in wrong when you tighten it down. I think thats what he did. I guess he did ride it and he said it bogged out when the powerband was sapposed to hit, and that I had to go in and adjust it. Its an 04 and looks really nice, but it needs that work done and a new hydraulic mastyer cylinder(at the handlebar) and chain/sprockets. I already own an 02 and I can just transfer some of the parts. He wants 1300... Should I do it?

yes do it, and then as you are trading parts you will know exactly what is wrong so you can get your old bike back together and sell it and come out even with a newer bike.

I can send you a link to do the top end, photos n all. Its in a different PC tho so not right now.

Here is a link thru KTm talk http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=213730

Okay he wants to drive it out to me on Saturday. I'm afriad of the deal incase there is something more serious thats wrong with the bike. I am worried about whether or not its worth the 1300. He is going to deliver it to my door which is a 45 minute drive and I dont want him to drive all the way out and find that the bike is in mechanical danger and turn him away. It looks pretty darn new and he is including a new back tire and fmf shorty. It needs a master cylinder for the clutch(which I have on my 02) and sprockets(which are cheap) the only other thing is that he says it isnt ready to run becuase of the powervalve but if it needs a top or bottom end is it still worth the 1300? My 02 is in decent shape and just needs suspension, but I'm constantly on the lookout for a new KTM 125. I will have to borrow and pay back the money for this 04. Is it worth it? Is it a great deal given my ability to fix it? Should I just save over the winter and try to find a deal for an even nicer one, or is this a steal?

Here is the bike

Picture_026.jpg

Picture_025.jpg

That's a clean bike! If the guy did routine maintenance on it, then I doubt that the bottom end is bad. From the picture, I would buy it before anyone else did.......I would, of course, go over the bike real well though. Don't feel bad telling the guy you don't want it if it turns out to be a money pit. If it is, then he's trying to screw you over. The best thing to do, is to ask a bunch of questions before he delivers it. Then if he lied, just tell him so. Good luck!

Yeah I just got the "step-by-step" from him. He blew it up at a race and the cylinder was fine. The bottom end and clutch were checked and are fine. His friend rebuilt it befoe but didnt know KTMs and rebuilt the powervalve wrong. He rode it and it bogged and the two mechanic shops he boright it to said the same thing, that it was just the powervalve being assembled wrong. I think I'm going to buy it!

left fork seal is leaking, right side clutch doesnt seem to have mush wear, L side of lower part of tank doesnt have much wear/black on it. Im guessing that by what I see in the photos is that it hasnt been ridden much. You could part it out and make the money back if it turns out bad, keep the subframe and newer tank for your old bike too.

Nice!!! Thanks guys! I'm excited. Is an 04 noticibly faster than an 02? And lighter?

for all intents and purposes they are the same except for suspension changes, maybe better, maybe not. The plastics and susp are the biggest changes.

Well suspension is a BIG plus. The suspension on my 02 is shot. I have it adjusted wayyy up high and turned all the way to as hard as it will go and its still soft and likes to bottom. I like the plastics on the 04 better, but my 02 looks really nice. Since I'm buying this 04 instead of a much newer one...I get to keep BOTH bikes.

The 04 is less peppy? I was wondering what motor changes were made as well. My 02 is light so even lighter will be great for me. If it doesnt have much pep then I will have the cylinder ported, have the head shaved, and get a stuffed crank over the winter.

What I really want is some more bottom end. If the 04 doesnt have it then the stuffed crank and porting should help. Basicly I'm fine with the weight of the 02 and the power is "okay". Lighter is always better, suspension is a must, and power will have to be created through engine mods. I just want to know what I'm buying, and know what to expect so that I'm not dissapointed.

Also I was wondering if the master cylinder on my 02 would work on the 04? I know they changed the size of the cable line, but i think it should still hook up. I'll post another thread