Sign in to follow this  

XT500 performance

i'm about to get my hands on a 73 xt500 and i'd like to get as much power out of it as possible, big bore kits, carbs, exhaust, whatever. any help would be grately appreciated. thanks

Keep that bike. I is totally unique as I can guarantee there is not another like it in the world. Everyone elses XTs date from 75-76.

Regards Alan

i thought they made them till like the late 80's or 90's? didn't know it was only over here for 2 years. i guess its a 75 or 76. i thought the guy said 73, possibly 78. guess i'm wrong.

He was being a wise guy! :)

Sounds like a nice bike, whatever year it turns out to be.

Do a search. There's tons of info available right in this here forum.

Good luck with it.

Kirk

You can still sink a small fortune in this engine hotrodding it. It is not really necessary in the real world, as the bike had plenty of poop in stock trim. I have 6 of these old thumpers; one of which I Ice Race (See Avatar) with a stock motor.

Hi. Sorry I was being a smart a*se. They started making them in 75-76 (I can never remember which year) and carried through to sometime in the 80s

Keep it standard for a while and see how you like it. They pull like a freight train as standard.

Regards Alan Case

Sorry, but I disagree.. I've had one XT 500, a tuned XT 540, and a slightly tuned HL XT 500, imo, there was not enough power in eny of these engines.. Compared to modern bikes, there is really nothing there..

Check out www.kedo.com, they are big on XT tuning.. Good luck, hope you get what you want. I have sold my two XT's , and plan to sell my HL as soon as a friend is finished making his HL Replica. He uses my HL to duplicate the replica frame..

I'll stear clear of XT's in the future, big, heavy and slow, thats what I think..

Sorry, but I disagree.. I've had one XT 500, a tuned XT 540, and a slightly tuned HL XT 500, imo, there was not enough power in eny of these engines.. Compared to modern bikes, there is really nothing there..

ridiculous

1975-78 XT 500 vs any modern big-bore thumper

same as

apples vs oranges

The XT500 had a super-stout motor when compared to any other bike made back then

The 1st Yamaha xt500 was released in the 1976 model year.

There were a lot of aftermarket companies offering lots of

horsepower back in the day.Some are still around,but you'll have

to spend many $$ to have reliable and competetive power with a

modern bike of equal displacement.

ridiculous

1975-78 XT 500 vs any modern big-bore thumper

same as

apples vs oranges

The XT500 had a super-stout motor when compared to any other bike made back then

I realize that, but if LookOutRossi is prepared to spend a small fortune on hop-up parts for this bike, I just wanted to tell him that he might be disappointed with the result.

The truth is that today the XT feels slow, it really doesn't matter if it out ran its competitors back int the days. Some people might like it, I have owned three and I don't think I'll buy nr four..

Howdy Rossi

I race my TT in Post-Vintage classes with AVDRA and have raced with AHRMA also. With not much work to the bike I can hole-shot the Maico's, Honda's, Suzuki's in my class on a regular basis. But if compare it to the new bikes it doesn't stand a chance. I have a yahoo group just for the TT500. The name of the group is TT500MOTOCROSS.

TT500MOTOCROSS

Jim

AVDRA #7L

AHRMA #7L