Sign in to follow this  

bent rear gear = chain tension delima/

A few weeks ago I found a roofing nail in my rear tire on my SM, i removed the tire, took it to the near by cycle shop, had a tube put in and bam problem solved. well when i re-mounted the rear i was doubtful on my work but i went with it any way. Well shortly after i was having problems with my chain, i would set it to specs, go for a ride, come back and it would be tight as a guitar string. Re-set it, go test ride, come back, and loose as a goose, what the hell? put it on the stand, spin the rear and i see the teeth on the rear sprocket move from left, to right, and back, between the chain links. could i have posibly bent some thing like the sprocket on R & R? or could the bike shop have bent it? or is it something else? im lost on it.....

A spacer is a big thing to miss out, the wheel would easily have an inch of movement. I wouldnt wanna ride it if a spacer was missing :)

A few weeks ago I found a roofing nail in my rear tire on my SM, i removed the tire, took it to the near by cycle shop, had a tube put in and bam problem solved. well when i re-mounted the rear i was doubtful on my work but i went with it any way. Well shortly after i was having problems with my chain, i would set it to specs, go for a ride, come back and it would be tight as a guitar string. Re-set it, go test ride, come back, and loose as a goose, what the hell? put it on the stand, spin the rear and i see the teeth on the rear sprocket move from left, to right, and back, between the chain links. could i have posibly bent some thing like the sprocket on R & R? or could the bike shop have bent it? or is it something else? im lost on it.....

Check to make sure your sprocket bolts are tight. The tube can be removed from the tire without taking off the sprocket, but some motorcycle shops do it just so they don't make a mistake and bend the sprocket. If they did indeed remove the sprocket, maybe they left it loose as well, tightened it but forgot to torque them.

Are you setting your chain slack on a stand? Remember when you set the bike on the ground, the sag from the bike and rider weight tighten up the chain. You want a 1/2 of total slack(up and down) in the middle of the chain, when fully weighted. So don't set your final adjustement on the stand, untill you get good at knowing how loose it is supposed to be on there.

i went word for word with the owners manual. when i tensioned the chain. when its on a stand and i spin the rear wheel every thing spins on a perfect axis except for the sprocket. i can see the teeth in the rear sprocket shift from left to right in the chain links but the chain stays on the same level axis. im pretty sure that the posssible bend in the sprocket is causing eratic chain tensiond