Sign in to follow this  

Unrelenting Backfiring

i can't seem to pinpoint why my 2002 drz400s is backfiring so much. It doesnt seem to make a difference if it is at sea level or 7,000 feet above, it still backfires to the same degree. Even the rejet for the altitude didn't make much of a difference. :worthy:

I know it shouldn't make a difference but i have been swapping my 17l safari tank in and out with the stock one and it really seems to backfire a lot more with the safari tank. :):D

I guess i can deal with the backfiring, I just feel a bit whisky tango when it happens, especially in downtown areas. I fear that this means my engine needs some major work.... anything minor can do to try to stop this?

Thanks guys!

my bike has 17k miles on it btw

Thanks guys,

It backfires on decel,

yeah i still have the acct :)

but in my defence i just bought the bike a thousand miles ago and just got the mcct in the mail and will install it today and report back

just installed mcct, and still backfires the same amount

also should note that when i checked my valve clearances for the first time (700 miles ago) they were all in spec except for one exhaust which was at .178 (spec: .2-.3)

Eddie persuaded me to not do anything and wait a thousand miles and check the timing again to see if its moving or not.

will check for possible header leak, thanks guys