Sign in to follow this  

Touring adventure across the Australian Outback!

Hi, im planning a trip up through the middle of auzzie on motorbike with my brother, and was wanting some opinions on a good choice of bike (i have somthing in mind). Presently have an 89 XR600 which i love, but too old for a 10,000km journey! The bike will ned to be able to have some sort of panniers fitted, have electric start, be very reliable, easy to fix and good supply of parts in auzzie as well. What do you think? Also i should add that my means are not unlimited, so probably 3k USD would be max...

Well you love the XR so a newer 650 R would have to be a consideration.

Other bikes to consider would be:BMW 1200 adventure and KTM

XR650R or XR650L? I have noted that the "L" seems to have a great following for this type of thing. But the "R" would be more my style. Any idea what the difference would be for this type of ride?

i actually think a DR-Z 400 woiuld be ideal, reliable, cheap, decent suspention, will do 110 on the highway's if needed, parts everywhere and still light enough to do some good off roading.

Cool vid, checked out the DR-Z400 on our auction sites and they are in the price range! They look way more motocrossy than the XR, you reacon they would handle the extra load? Also would they be like the modern MX bikes and need a re-build all the time? I need big miles with no pissing around changing rings and doing the valves etc. I also was thinking that the radiators might be weak link, but maybe thats not an issue. How popular are the DRZ in auzzie? Also i weigh 90ks. From reading on the net seems to be good Honda support in Auzz would the suzuki have the shops as well? If anyones intgrested, check out this link, thats what im looking at....http://www.aussie2006.webset.co.nz/index.htm

the DR is the only direct compeditor with the XR 400, they're reliable as a brick, and as long as you put a stronger rear spring on it, it will handle any extra load no worries, they're not like the modern MXer's with maintainence, run it in, cheack everything (valves and such) then leave it till your done with your round aussie trip.

and i've seen mrioe DR's over here then i have XR's, riding around coopers creek the other day i came across 4 differant people mounting DR-Z 400's, parts are easily found, but suzuki dealer are not as common as honda dealers over here, however in both the honda shops near me, they don't carry XR parts due to lack of demand for them.