Sign in to follow this  

Losing control

Hi everyone i went riding at the track yesterday and it really went bad i crashed a few times but nothing serious. the track has been redone so it pretty sandy and no real berms so im struggling in corners with my front wheel washing out which i know how to fix i jst need to practise that. but where i feel i have no control is on some of the straights the bike jumps around alot if its rough and im in the powerband i struggle to control it and keep it tracking straight. another things is in the sand berms when i whack the throttle open my bike slides from left to right really badly and i dnt know how to fix this? my bike is a cr250r i have only had the bike 4 months and been riding twice a week for the past month at the track. do you think its lack of experiance or could the bike be too powerful? ( im 5'11" and weigh 180 pounds)

I doubt its too powerful. Your big enough to man-handle it.

Tires could be the problem, if not check your psi, it can change everything.

Check your suspension settings, if they are way out of whack it's going to affect how your bike handles

That bike should be fine...

Could be rider error... :D

May be your suspension settings...

Try to stiffen your clickers in the sand... :)

How is your body position? Are you gripping with your knees? When you lean the bike are you weighting the outer peg? Bike setup is very important but will do you no good if your body positioning is out of whack. Next time you are at the track really concentrate on gripping with your knees, body position in turns and on straights, and weighting the outer peg when you lean the bike over. I bet you will notice a difference. hope this helps

If you are having headshake down the straights check where your forks are in your triple clamps. If you have them up high your rake decreases and you will get headshake easier. Also your suspension is huge in sand, do some research on how to set it up, generally you want it stiffer with a slower rebound since sand doesn't make sharp close choppy bumps. Hope this helps

Try not whacking the throttle open. Just roll it on through the turn. This may help with the bike sliding around.

Bruce

Ive been reading up on suspension settings for a while and tracking problems through rough spots sounds like that's the culprit. Find a thread for setting your Race Sag (should start at 3.9 inches) and then start working with your rebound and compression damping. There are lots of people who know their stuff regarding suspension settings here at TT so ask around. I'm still learning so I'd most likely make you crash more :)

Hi everyone i went riding at the track yesterday and it really went bad i crashed a few times but nothing serious. the track has been redone so it pretty sandy and no real berms so im struggling in corners with my front wheel washing out which i know how to fix i jst need to practise that. but where i feel i have no control is on some of the straights the bike jumps around alot if its rough and im in the powerband i struggle to control it and keep it tracking straight. another things is in the sand berms when i whack the throttle open my bike slides from left to right really badly and i dnt know how to fix this? my bike is a cr250r i have only had the bike 4 months and been riding twice a week for the past month at the track. do you think its lack of experiance or could the bike be too powerful? ( im 5'11" and weigh 180 pounds)

for the corners, you need the body position, flat turns are normaly similar in terms of body position, stand while entering the turn to allow oyur body to absorb the braking bumps, at the apex, transfer to sitting as far up the seat as you can, knackers on the fuel tank, sit on the outside corner of the seat with your inside leg point strait forward (not towards the ground, the idea of moving everything forward is tog et mroe weight on the front wheel for traction), weight the outside peg (pressing your outside knee against the gas tank helps tremendously here), and roll on the throttle, don't just snap it open, in deep sand or loam avoid a lot of front brake.

for the straits, you need to get the suspention sorted before you can work on it, getting the forks set up will help a lot with headshake, and if the bikes swaping over accaleration bump's, it's an indication that your rear compression is to stiff, or the rebound to slow (packing), although notmally in sand you want fairly stiff comp and rebound. on the shock.

I had great difficulty in setting the suspension on my CR250, sold it for a yellow 250 man what a difference straight out of the crate. Before you really dot it get someone who knows suspensions inside out to watch you at the track and help you set up.