Sign in to follow this  

Top Speed of the EXC-R or XC-W

has anyone topped out there bike, like on the rev limiter. I'm very curious because a stock 450xc-f goes 98.5mph verified by gps, and it has a semi-close 5 speed

fastest i've gone was 79mph in 5th gear but head shake made me cut the throttle, and I was short shifting breaking in my engine and what not

but a wide ratio 6 speed should have more speed than the semi-close 5 speed, especially if it has the 15/45 final drive:eek:

I ask this so I can do some math and find what gear ratio I want too run.

thanks

I ran my '07 525EXC with stock jetting and 15/45 gearing to almost 100mph in

5th gear and it was still pulling hard. I didn't have the wheels balanced at the time and it was gettin' spooky!

I'll have to revisit the top speed now that I have JD jetting, 14/48 gearing

and balanced wheels.

before re gearing i got my dad's 450 EXC-R to 187 KM/H (116 MP/H), that wasn't hitting the rev limiter.

thats crazy, I though it was geared extremely high, since I was using the clutch as a lower than 1st gear, which i never had to do on a 250f.

how did you get your wheels balanced? just put the sticker weights opposite the rim locks?

go to a bike shop, auto parts store, or tire/wheel store and buy some stick on wheel weights. Stick 4 oz opposite the rim locks on both wheels, using 2 oz on each side of the rim. Color them black with a sharpie.

On your other post - My 08 530 with 14/48 gearing gets to 90 mph very quickly on the street and that is way faster than I want to go on a dirt bike.

DBM

go to a bike shop, auto parts store, or tire/wheel store and buy some stick on wheel weights. Stick 4 oz opposite the rim locks on both wheels, using 2 oz on each side of the rim. Color them black with a sharpie.

On your other post - My 08 530 with 14/48 gearing gets to 90 mph very quickly on the street and that is way faster than I want to go on a dirt bike.

DBM

those stick on weights, they actually stay on through water, mudd, sand, etc...

those stick on weights, they actually stay on through water, mudd, sand, etc...

Having worked at a tire shop befor i think they would stick unless you caught an ugly rock. All custom rims have stick on weights. So if a viper cant spin them off i think we are good on the speed side of things. For off road they might come off with lots of aggressive ridding.

with such tall gearing it must be hard as hell to ride in the woods?

with such tall gearing it must be hard as hell to ride in the woods?

yeah, i took her in the sand and had to use the clutch as a lower gear. then I went and bought a 14tooth sprocket and the bike is so much better to ride

my xcrw 450 was up to 97 on dirt road in moab last fall. and last weekend had it up to 80 near swan valley idaho and still pulling fast. Feels good to bust out some speed like that after riding single track for hours on end to get some wind blowing through ya .

98 MPH per instrument cluster on 2008 530 EXC-R and that with 14/48 gearing I think, kinda forgot what desert gearing I have.

115 mph stock gearing on a 450EXC-R. It probably had more if I laid on the tank, but I got there on a burst and let off. I Hit 100 with 14/52 gearing and can hit 80 mph no problem with 13/52 gearing. 13/52 is my favorite so far. Much better woods and hill climb abilities. I don't spen much time at high speeds.