Sign in to follow this  

Broken tip of Fibula

Last Saturday, I washed out my front end on a turn and my bike fell on my ankle. The pain was excruciating and I couldn't put any weight on my foot. After about an hour and a half of icing, I was able to put a little weight on it. Before long, I had my boot back on and continued to ride for 8 more hours. I was riding on an MX track, hitting small doubles and jumping tabletops, and the facility has a pretty nice 'groomed' trail that I rode as well. Kick starting the bike hurt a little but not much; riding and jumping didn't hurt at all.

After returning home, I noticed my foot was black & blue on the outside along the bottom edge of my foot. I went to Urgent Care the next day and had x-rays where I discovered I had broken the bottom tip of my Fibula (I really think the break was caused by the buckle on my boot). I am now in a fiberglass splint and have discovered that I am extremely 'Cast Claustrophobic'!!!! The anxiety I feel is tremendous and I cannot sleep at all.... I freak out! It is SO bad, that I am seriously considering selling my bike so I NEVER have to go through this again. Oh yeah, I'm 47 and this is my first broken bone!

Ok, enough whinning...

Based on the attached x-ray, is there anyway I can get this thing off my leg and just get a removable splint/cast so I can take it off when the anxiety attacks hit?

image1.jpg

that fracture won't amount to a hill of beans. You need some rehab, and high top shoes.

Just got back from an emergency visit to my OS. He refuses to remove the cast and simply put me on Xanax. He says that a permanent cast is the ONLY treatment, regardless of where the fracture is, and also refuses to give me a removable cast/splint.

I have never experienced anything so aggravating!

Dr. Mark, do you accept patients from San Antonio? (Drug induced LOL)

I treat this injury with an air stirrup brace which is placed over your sock, and under your tennis shoe.

A cast, expecially in the South Texas summer is way too much trouble an too much treatment.

I am in the clinic in Htown Tuesday. Come visit me.

I'll have to see if you accept my insurance.

Where is the HTown Clinic Located?

If the Xanax doesn't work tonight, I WILL be cutting this thing off my leg myself!

Is the $100 per office visit standard even if I have a $30 co-pay?

Is the air stirrup brace removable should conditions (mental) warrant it?

I you have a thirty dollar copay, then you pay thirty and the insuer pays seenty.

The airstiffrup brace is removable for bathing and dressing but it costs some money too.

I dont know if you insure covers it. Its somewhere near one hundred dollars, give or take a few.

I contacted Yvonne and asked for an appointment on Tuesday.:)

Questions:

What if I arrive and my foot is swollen?

Are the rehab procedures something I can do on my own?

Do I need high top tennis shoes before I arrive?

Can I take a chain saw and cut this cast off my leg now?:D

Thank you very much for all your help Dr. Mark!

There is no law against cutting off your own cast with a chain saw. I wouidn't try that at home, though.

Ed, my trainer, aka the Prince of Pain, and I will show you how to get the swelling down, as well as the necessary exercises.

You need to bring tennis shoes, but not necessarily high tops.

I don't know how long you have been riding or doing any other physical activities for but I think you have got off real cheap.

Dr. Mark,

The swelling is gone except for the immediate injury area and the bruising is 90% gone.

I am now homesteading on the couch with my ankle wrapped, iced and elevated above the heart.

My sister broke her fibula above where I did and opted for surgery. After surgey she was given an icing device that consists of a cuff with tubing and an ice chest with adjustable pump. Do you recommend the use of this or just a simple ice pack instead.

Dusty,

What do you mean by "..got off real cheap."?

I used to ride an on-off road bike (Suzuki TC100) way back in the earliy-mid 70's. Never rode on an MX track; mainly dirt roads, trails and creeks.

I quit riding for 30 years and started again 1½ years ago and went straight to a KLX300.

As I am a computer programmer, I don't get much excercise except for when I'm riding like a maniac. I am fairly fit with a slight-moderate case of 'dun-lap'. This experience has changed my whole perspective on fitness. When this is all over, I will have a stationary bike and a rowing machine of some sort.

Thats a good way to keep it cold. Other riders should not "try what you did at home"

What I mean is you are 47 years old and this is your first broken bone.I would have loved to hit that age before I broke something.Good for you.If you keep riding it's not a matter of if but when you will break something.I used to ride with eight to ten guys but we are down to four.To many people busted up.Once again be grateful.

Ok, now I see what you meant.

I ride with 5 other guys who are total finatics. 4 of them are at least 7 years my junior and they ride MX class bikes. My problem is that I try to keep up with them and it gets me in trouble! The day the accident happened, we were having my birthday party at the MX Track and I wanted to be good and warmed up before anybody else showed up... I broke my ankle BEFORE ANYONE ELSE SHOWED UP!

My mistake was that I told my family I was going to 'roll' the track for a couple of laps first. When I approached the first jump, I guess I went crazy and I pinned it and didn't slow down!

I went and saw Dr. Mark today. What an amazing experience!

My original Ortho was way over-treating my injury and I'm surprised he didn't have me in a body cast followed by a drug induced coma and hourly enemas!

Dr. Mark treated my injury and confiscated the cruches the other Ortho gave me. After that, I was visited by his hinchman... 'The Prince of Pain'.

It was like going to Disney World but all the rides are way out of calibration so they throw you around and hurt like you know what.

Seriously, Dr. Mark believes in the 'healing power of the blood' for rapid and complete recovery. That is a scripturally sound approach! He and ALL his staff are considerate, compassionate and are just downright great people.

Even though they 'hurt' me, I can say that I already feel much better and have way more flexibility in my ankle.

See Dr. Mark, it is WELL WORTH IT on many levels. 👍