Quick release skid plate??

I'm 95% sure that i'll be buying an RPP Carbon fibre skid plate in the next few days, and after a fiasco with my stock skid plate bolts cold welding to the frame i'm thinking about a quick release system like the KTM's have.

Is it feasible to drill on the threads on the mounting tabs, then use DZUS 1/4 turns to mount the skid plate?

Would make removal for cleaning and oil changes a 5 second job rather than 5 minutes.

What do you guys think??

p.s. reason i'm going for the RPP is it looks good and it can withstand a bullet shot too...

i have one and they do the job .. the bad news is the harmonics factor . sometimes i think the rod is going to pop out of the case .

Have you tried out skidplate foam? Not sure if it would reduce the harmonics at all.

I wear earplugs anyway as my TRC is loud!!

What you think to my quick release idea?

would it be possiable to drill and mount something on the carbon one with out wrecking the integraty of the plate?

I have a metal leg on the left side and run my foot linkage around the front now on my SM but i have been wanting to tidy it up for a while and would liek to do it on the carbon fiber skid plate to save some weight (its now bolted to my stock skid plate)

Any ideas anyone.

I'm sorry but what ever gun/bullets he is using...aren't very good. I'd like to order a skid plate with them and conduct my own testing with my H&K .45, as long as they replace it. And sure, I'll even video tape it ?

Ive watched handgun's blast holes through 4x4's, aluminum plates, I just dont see how carbon fiber and some resin are stopping it.

You would need a Dzus fastener with a stem diameter of .250" to .3125". The light stuff will shear from fatique or a rock. The fastener back plate will have to be stout or it too will bend. Sourcing the parts may be spendy unless there is a good surplus house nearby.

• Like 1

You would need a Dzus fastener with a stem diameter of .250" to .3125". The light stuff will shear from fatique or a rock. The fastener back plate will have to be stout or it too will bend. Sourcing the parts may be spendy unless there is a good surplus house nearby.

Thats the reason i love this forum so much, cheers 38super, guess i'll stick with good old bolts and anti seize.

?:D

I'm for the thickest, hard bolted no access skid plate you can buy/build. Cases are expensive. I'm willing to spend a few extra minutes doing an oil change to protect my motor. After trying several I settled on the Tonns plate. Quick disconnect and impact protection dont go together in my opinion.

Headster, the weather conditions you ride in, all the salts, you really must use anti-seize on all bolts and should do so prophylactic.

Wow thats a big word, i presume it means do it every time ?:D

Yea anti seize has become my best freind, still the bolt that havent come out in the 2 years i've owned it are probably going to be really bad.

Frame gets powder coated in 4 weeks, so i'll have plenty of time to check each thread and anti sieze them all up.

Cheers for the link Debi, if only it was a UK supllier.

• 3 months later...
Need a little help. I'm interested in a Tonns skid plate. The web site is not user friendly or I'm a little slow - or both. How do I get to a place where I can see the plate and/or order it. Thanks

It's my understanding that the Tonn's plate has not been offered for some time now.

Tipsy

It doesn't really matter what caliber rounds were fired at the skid plate in the video. What matters is that the impact area was damaged and the next one would go right through. Not much good for off road where a skid plate gets hammered over and over again, many times in the same spots. A good aluminum skid plate will take repeated impacts with nothing to show except for scratches and occasionally a minor dent.

Main Entry: 1pro·phy·lac·tic

Pronunciation: \ˌprō-fə-ˈlak-tik also ˌprä-\

Function: adjective

Etymology: Greek prophylaktikos, from prophylassein to be on guard, from pro- before + phylassein to guard, from phylak-, phylax guard

Date: 1574

1 : guarding from or preventing the spread or occurrence of disease or infection

2 : tending to prevent or ward off : preventive

— pro·phy·lac·ti·cal·ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb