Sign in to follow this  

Insanely priced parts

Ok, so yesterday I head up to the local dealership to get a spoke for my KTM and a Powervalve rod for my step-bro's rm125. Said rod is mabey an inch long and mabey 3/16 of an inch if that. "Ok your total is going to be $55 plus tax!" :) The rod was $44!!!! Plus i bought one other thing so the spoke was only about $5. I understand that this rod is probably not ordered too much anymore and the bike isn't even made these days but come on! Its so simple of a piece I was thinking about makin one myself before I even went there out of the shaft of an ice pick! :D Rant over...anyone else ever run into this?

Not entirely uncommon. Parts prices are based on complexity some times though more often then not, an entirely arbitrary value placed on it. When I worked for Yamaha factory, I spoke with one of the guys responsible for parts pricing. He was an accountant, did not ride at all. He said when possible, if the cost to manufacture was known, that was figured in. Often, these numbers were unknown. So they would simply heft a part and come up with a magic number.

Went to the Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki shop in Madison WI, ordered a small bolt for my Yamaha it was $9.85, got back and checked online because the price seemed unreasonable and it was $2.15. 3 days later I picked up the part and asked the counter guy what the MSRP on that part was and he told me $2.90, he told me they always mark up parts and that the small parts are marked way up, I told him to relay the message to the owner that I will never be back in this store again, he said he would and that he understood. I would like to support my local dealer but he's forcing me to mail order. One of the shops from Florida that advertise in the back of the magazines is always below retail and I get the part in 2 days, so its them or TT from now on. Mike

• Like 1

Same stuff has been going on forever. This was a while back, but the story fits...

In 1977 I had a 1972 Corvette. Purchased it used and it was in pretty good shape. Not perfect - but a nice car none the less. At any rate, there was a rubber oil plug in the manifold cover that simply said OIL. The one on my vette wasn't in the best of shape so I popped into the local Chevy dealer and asked to purchase a new one. I figured the item would be around $10 or so, but the part guy looked the item up and said the price was $25. WOW! For a rubber OIL plug! I told him no thanks and started to walk away. But then I recalled that the engine in my vette was just a standard Chevy 350 small block.

So I walked back up to the counter and asked the parts guy what the same item for a 1972 Chevy Impala would run. He looks the part up and says it's $8.95. And then - no lie - he says, "Hey look, it's the same part number!".

So I said, "I have a 1972 Impala and I need an OIL plug for it, got any in stock?"

I hear you buddy! A nut, yes, just a 16mm NUT for my suspension linkage on an XR4 was $7.50!!! The needle with clip for my POS Kehein carb? Oh! go on, guess! I'll give you a minute.....ready? $36.00!!! Plus tax of course....

My company is a manufacturer, and we sell all of our parts at 100% mark-up. If it costs us $100.00, you are paying $200.00. But I suspect that Honda made 1000% on that nut and needle! Damn! The better part of $50.00 flew outta my wallet that morning, when I thought a 20 spot would cover!

the thing that really gets me is the cost of brake pads. they are small as can be yet cost nearly the same as the ones for my car that carry a lifetime warrentee.

I do not see why any one is surprised. This has been going on for ever, and not just in the auto motive/ motorcycle industries. Any retail product is marked up a million percent.The fact that the sole purpose of any thing sold on the market is to make money (aka greed), that means I expect to get ripped off, always.

All the more reason to support your local independent bike shop, a decent one will be able to get most bits at a fair mark-down on what you'd pay in a franchised shop. (although I was a little surprised today at the £11 asked for a KX style push-to-kill switch, but that was countered by the £10 for a K&N filter I suppose).

Prices are getting crazy but I still prefer to buy local when I can and luckily there are several different motorcycle dealerships fairly close. I needed brush guards for my daughters xr100, one place I called said they were $34. a piece(sounded high)so I called another shop and they were $17. for the same factory part! I think sadly the days of just going to your local motorcycle shop and ordering what you need and being treated fairly may be gone(who knows). Last thing I personally have had better luck with locally owned shops than the franchised ones.

Im done with stealerships, TT will be getting my business from now on

Unless of course it is an emergency and I need the thing ASAP

The Dealership Mark Up Is Ridiculous, I Know They Need To Make Money But The Customer Shouldnt Have To Walk Funny Out The Door After They Buy A Part, If U Know What I Mean.

I Usually Check Out Bike Bandit And See What The Prices Are On There Before I Go To The Dealership, Just To See The Difference In Price

Yeah I know what you mean. Im getting sick of paying $50 for handlebar grips.

:worthy::):ride::banghead: :banghead:

$50 for grips?!?! thats a huge rip off unless your buying grips of gold!

Grips at my local shop are like $12 :D

$50 for grips?!?! thats a huge rip off unless your buying grips of gold!

Grips at my local shop are like $12 :)

He's from Djibouti

I priced some parts at the dealershit, then went online and found every part for 1/3 of the price. Dealershits are good for the bike's only, they are way cheaper online for the same part.

He's from Djibouti

where is that? but yea the price of oil and stuff like that is marked up at mine. like for a $8 quart of oil its $14. even though i use rotella :) and a half gallon of engine ice was $25. so i mostly buy all my parts online. i hate markup.

I paid the dealership $31 for a float valve needle for my DR350 a while back. A part that is literally smaller than my fingernail. I buy online now whenever I can.