Sign in to follow this  

Husqvarna TE 250 or KTM 200XC-W

Hey guys, I was wondering, which bike is better than the other when it comes to trail riding? I have been looking at both a 4 stroke and a 2 stroke:KTM 200XC or Husky TE 250.

I am an "intermediate" rider,and I am 14- 5'11" and 150lb.

Which bike is better for trails(power/torque) and which bike is probably more reliable(kinda dumb question)?

After this, I will finally get a new bike, and stop making posts.

Your kinda comparing apples to oranges.

First of all are you referring to '08 models?

Both are good trail bikes and are very durable/reliable, but have a lot of differences, if comparing an xc(not xc-w) to the TE then they have one thing in common...close ratio transmission(other than brakes).

Pros:

TE: has e-start and is street legal, very easy engine to work on(read very accessible), awesome husky handling, potent engine comparable to an average mx 250f, EFI no finicky jetting( but make sure to get the power up kit(arrow pipe/enduro tailight).

XC: strong engine, light, has a large following, lots of aftermarket, cheap to rebuild.

Cons:

TE: weight

XC: linkage less suspension needs to be set up(lots of people like it though)

Bottom Line- The TE is for a moderate to aggressive trail rider who does the occasional race(don't get me wrong it's very race able).But if your racing a lot or don't need street legality get the TXC.

The XC is for an aggressive trail rider who races more frequently.

Ahh, nevermind...No Husky...I just realized that If I need something for the bike, I would have to go on a 2 hour ride to get to the nearest dealership.

But...my local dealership sells KTM'S, Yamahas, Hondas, and Kawasakis.

I'll look at the 200XC-W and a WR250F.

Ahh, nevermind...No Husky...I just realized that If I need something for the bike, I would have to go on a 2 hour ride to get to the nearest dealership.

But...my local dealership sells KTM'S, Yamahas, Hondas, and Kawasakis.

I'll look at the 200XC-W and a WR250F.

Husky guys say otherwise on getting parts mail order. They say it's a snap. Check out the Husky forums here!

Husky guys say otherwise on getting parts mail order. They say it's a snap. Check out the Husky forums here!

True. I bought my bike on eBay, from Minnesota. There is a dealer about 5 hours away from me, but they are not worth my time or breath. Order my parts from 5 die hard husky dealers, very helpful and knowledgeable, affordable and timely.

I worked for a Husky dealer here in the Bay Area, Ca. I really like the Husky because of the plate and the fact it's a true off-road machine ready to rock. That being said, I also owned a KTM and liked it, but never could get the suspension to work how I liked it... then I got a Yamaha, and being able to order parts and accessories from LITERALLY any dealer that has a PartsUnlimited or Tucker Rocky account is AWESOME (even ThumperTalk!!).

I now ride a 2stroke, after having only 4-strokes (my KTM was a 450SX). My Yamaha is a YZ250 which I am turning into an enduro/woods bike with a flywheel weight, taller seat, tank, etc. I like the light weight weight of the 250, and the fact is has very low reciprocating mass makes it more flickable.

I have ridden the WR250F and thought it was FUN! The motor and slide were derestricted, but me at 240lbs (and shrinking) it didn't have quite the power I'd like on the hill climbs, BUT, was faster because of the traction and handling in other situations than the YZ (hence the addition of parts).

With anything Euro, you are going to pay more for the parts since they are made in Europe and the Euro is kicking ass right now. Both bikes are super-quality and now that Husky is owned by BMW you can expect the level of quality and parts availability to only grow.

The 200 is quite a bit lighter in the real world than the TE, but the TE has A BUTTON, a BATTERY and DOT lighting. Add a plate, and this could be worth it's weight in gold if you are connecting single track or running a quick errand.

Alright, I am gonna now either look into the TXC, or the TE. Thanks guys

husky's TE/ TXC250 puts out around 37 bhp (36.8 bhp). it has the strongest 4-joke engine compared to other enduro line up, higher and better than the 250XCF, CRF250X, and WR250F.

source: see husqvarna motorcycle UK articles :)

btw, the 200EXC/ XC puts out the same 37 hp as the TE250, yet expect it that the TE's powerband is broader.

I worked for a Husky dealer here in the Bay Area, Ca. I really like the Husky because of the plate and the fact it's a true off-road machine ready to rock. That being said, I also owned a KTM and liked it, but never could get the suspension to work how I liked it... then I got a Yamaha, and being able to order parts and accessories from LITERALLY any dealer that has a PartsUnlimited or Tucker Rocky account is AWESOME (even ThumperTalk!!).

I now ride a 2stroke, after having only 4-strokes (my KTM was a 450SX). My Yamaha is a YZ250 which I am turning into an enduro/woods bike with a flywheel weight, taller seat, tank, etc. I like the light weight weight of the 250, and the fact is has very low reciprocating mass makes it more flickable.

I have ridden the WR250F and thought it was FUN! The motor and slide were derestricted, but me at 240lbs (and shrinking) it didn't have quite the power I'd like on the hill climbs, BUT, was faster because of the traction and handling in other situations than the YZ (hence the addition of parts).

With anything Euro, you are going to pay more for the parts since they are made in Europe and the Euro is kicking ass right now. Both bikes are super-quality and now that Husky is owned by BMW you can expect the level of quality and parts availability to only grow.

The 200 is quite a bit lighter in the real world than the TE, but the TE has A BUTTON, a BATTERY and DOT lighting. Add a plate, and this could be worth it's weight in gold if you are connecting single track or running a quick errand.

just like you V1, i have a YZ250 but i'm dying to have the '09 WR125 :)

will your dealer shop be selling them?

Both bikes are around 58 inches axle to axle (wheelbase), which in my opinion is a bit too long on tight trails, at least for me. I'm 5-10 and 140 pounds. Also, the TE250 is about 25 pounds heavier, and the seat is 2 inches taller than the XC200. If you're interested in a TE, get in touch -- my '07 TE250 is for sale... gpsbilly@sbcglobal.net

Alright, I am gonna now either look into the TXC, or the TE. Thanks guys

Hi Briggzie. I've got an 07 TE250 and it's a great bike. I'm 5'4" and 125lbs, so it's a little tall and heavy, but as long as you can keep that sucker upright you won't notice the weight. It's an amazing handling bike. If you get an 07 or older getting the jetting right is critical.

Good luck to you!👍