Sign in to follow this  

Drz400sm

Any one know what the cruising speed is on a drz400sm is w/o causing any damage?

I changed my gearing to 15/38 and when i hit the freeway i run it at 90. I have lots and lots of miles on mine w/o any problems.

I replaced the stock 15 with a 16. Advantage...can use the stock chain. I have over 15,000 miles on mine without incident. At 60 mph I can get 60 mpg. Many riders say they can ride theirs all day long at 80-85 mph.

For me, I think 75 mph is a realistic loafing along cruising speed.

Tony

yea, going up in the front from 15 to 16 is about the same as going down in the rear from a 41 to a 38.... i went down in the rear because i was geting a new chain anyways and didnt mind shortening it... plus i wanted an aluminum rear sprocket. i got the sprocket from driven... you might want to do the front sprocket so you can swap it back and forth w/o changing chain length.

Stock, it's good up to 70. Above that, it starts to get awful buzzy. It won't hurt it to go faster, but it just doesn't like it.

so changing the front sprocket to a larger size will help to get more top end?

No, it will just make the engine RPM's lower at any given speed compared to a smaller sprocket.

cool, thank you! I have been cruisin at about 70 stock, I was not sure if that was cool or not. I am going to put a 16 in front for sure!

I guess I'm an abuser because, I dropped the front sprocket two teeth, and added a FMF Ti4 Exhuast with a mid pipe and header. Then had I the carb re-jetted (Dyno-jet). I ran the freeway at 75 to 80. It tops out at 90mph or 93 with the wind at my back.

after I put the 38 on the rear, put on the yosh ti pipe, jetted with the jd kit and opened up the airbox i was able to hit 106 indicated on the highway with a slight down hill

Do you lose a lot of low-end when going to 16?

you will notice the difference when leaving from a stop light but its not that bad.