Sign in to follow this  

(NOOB ?) Crappy off idle starts, carb cleaning?

Hey I'm sure there are a million posts here about carbs, but unfortunately I don't have the time to read them all one by one.

If someone could just give me a quick run down of what it I should look into or do first that would be a huge help in its self.

the bike idles just great, and runs great in all gears, its just that taking off from a dead stop it seems like it almost cuts out or dies for a split second before the rpms come up. Its stalled on me before once or twice. I've played around with the fuel/air screw and have found it running best at around 2.5 turns out from lightly seated. its still has the really bad throttle response...

is this just the stock cvk carb being a piece of crap? or do you think it just needs a good cleaning?

:)

sorry for being such a noob, i just came from a klx250 to a klx400 (440) so this is a whole other ball game for me. Thanks a bunch for any replys or suggestions you might have.

Bump idle up, readjust mixture screw for best idle + 1/4 turn, check rubber diaphram for vacuum leak. Initially I had the same thing, blip stall. Haven't found a #42 pilot jet. I'm at sea level 148 MJ, NT1B needle at clip 4. I like the CVK $$$/performance benefit, proly the best econo mod to date. Give a big thanks to those that showed me the way.

edit: You mentioned CVK in your post, so you've installed a CVK40? If your bike is stock, it has a Mikuni BSR36 and it's jetted very lean with a restrictive airbox. If so, get a JD jet kit and Keintech from the TT Store, then do the 3x3 airbox mod.