Sign in to follow this  

CRF 150 Valve guides

Is the replacement of valve guides in a 2004 crf 150 a do it at home project or do you need a shop with a press? I have done everything else with an engine but valve guides.

My exhaust guide has very minimal play. Is this a problem and should it be replaced? The reason is that the valve seal on the exhaust side is worn and passing oil. Is this because of the play on the valve stem, or a natural occurance? Intake valve is in excellent shape. The bike is 4 years old and apparently has not had any top end work done before.

I am thinking that because the play is very small I will replace the exhaust valve and both valve seals.

Any help or ideas are really appreciated.

You could likely install valve guides at home. It is recommended that they are driven in by hammering, not pressing them in. You should also heat the head and cool the guides prior to installation.

Your biggest problem after installing a new guide is that in most cases the valve will not seat properly. You will need to re-seat the valve with proper valve and seat cutters / grinders. Most do-it-yourselfers do not have this equipment.

Good luck and ride safely.

Save yourself a lot of time and headaches...let the pro's do this kind of work. You can sometimes get great deals on the internet if you live in an area that lacks good bike shops.

When getting new guilds, there is a 100% chance your valves won't seal and you will need a valve job. I do not recemmend used the "grinding stone" process for a valve job, It is the cheapest way to get a valve job done and over 90% or the shops use that process. I recemmend a 3 angle valve job on the intake, and a full radius on the exhaust (this cannot be done with stones) Also you will need to reem the guilds to the proper size. Honda will give you the guides unfinished so you can reem them to size.

I would absolutly take advantage of this oportunity to get a little head work done.

the three angle valve jobs are supposed to help a lot. there are many places that do head work on the 150/230's

engines only advertises a 3 angle job.

www.xr100.com

Coeshow, your web pages states that you offer services....but i can not find the link. do you offer 3 angle valve jobs??

I may want to talk to you about a 251 kit.