Sign in to follow this  

Valve Guides

Is the replacement of valve guides in a 2004 crf 150 a do it at home project or do you need a shop with a press? I have done everything else with an engine but valve guides.

My exhaust guide has very minimal play. Is this a problem and should it be replaced? The reason is that the valve seal on the exhaust side is worn and passing oil. Is this because of the play on the valve stem, or a natural occurance? Intake valve is in excellent shape. The bike is 4 years old and apparently has not had any top end work done before.

I am thinking that because the play is very small I will replace the exhaust valve and both valve seals.

Any help or ideas are really appreciated.

You rarely need valve guides. Just change the seals and you are good to go.

When you change the valve guides, they won't go in like the old ones were and you will have to grind the valves too. You may have to take out more meat than you want to do.

Just my 47 year motorcycling experience.

Don

A bad exhaust guide shows up as a puff of oil smoke on deceleration with engine breaking. If it doesn't smoke when engine breaking, then you aren't passing enough oil past the exhaust valve guide to worry about.

If you need an exhaust valve guide, you might as well buy a new head instead because they are only $85. You'll spend more than that maching your old head if one or more guides are bad.

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it. No smoke on decel so I won't worry about it and Ill get a new head when / if it is needed.