Sign in to follow this  

drz400sm height difference?

Hey,

my friend and I both have 2006 drz400sm's but they are different heights. Mine seems to be lower but we can't seem to figure out why. Just wondering if anyone had any idea why? Mine was imported from the US and his was bought in Canada, but I doubt that should matter. Thanks in advance!

i3umc4.jpg

I see that they were measured with the kickstand down. Are they also off by the same amount when you measure if there are held straight up, with no weight on the bikes?

Well we played with the rear shock preload but they seemed to be pretty much the same. We ended up adjusting that and the rebound to get it to stay a little lower. Not sure if its a correct setup but it feels nicer. Thanks for all the help!

How old are the two bikes? What's the mileage between them? What are the rider weights?

It seems the left bike has been ridden harder, judging from the frame damage.

Maybe suspension spring 'sag', 'softening' or 'settling' from hard riding over time?

It seems the left bike has been ridden harder, judging from the frame damage.

I noticed that as well. The bike on the left looks like it was cased hard. Need some skid plates.

They have about the same mileage and they are both 06's. I got the bike from a guy that got three in an auction so I'm guessing it was in some sort of crash due to replaced plastics and that frame damage. Got it with only 600 miles on it and put on 4000+ just this summer and its still rocking hard. No problems at all. 1000ish mile oil changes and a clean air filter make a big difference I've noticed. Need a new rear tire though as I had too much air in it for awhile.:)

They have about the same mileage and they are both 06's. I got the bike from a guy that got three in an auction so I'm guessing it was in some sort of crash due to replaced plastics and that frame damage. Got it with only 600 miles on it and put on 4000+ just this summer and its still rocking hard. No problems at all. 1000ish mile oil changes and a clean air filter make a big difference I've noticed. Need a new rear tire though as I had too much air in it for awhile.:)

I know where your bike came from..... Thats where mine came from to. Canada's wonderland had a stunt show 2 years ago, 12 DRZ's. They sold the bikes to employees last year for stupid cheap 1-2K!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another member here clued me in on it. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596627

oh yeah, Mine seems low as well compared to my brother inlaws 07. I can't figure it out, not a lowering link, not preload.

ummm, when I got mine the forks were lowered in the triples, have you raised that back up?

Hey Golds thats awesome stuff! I saw a video on youtube of a guy jumping a drz down some stairs and he totally bottomed it out and so I always assumed someone had done something similar with mine. Thanks for posting that link it makes me feel a little better... but the thing runs awesome so I wasn't worried anymore.

As for the height, my friend and I both like the lower feel better and thats why we wanted to figure it out, to lower his a bit. I think the way it works is that the rebound is set pretty weak as well as the spring tension so after you sit on it it doesn't pop all the way back up. I can lift the back of my bike up and it fully extends the shock but it naturally sits a little lower. Again, I don't know about the correctness of this setup it was just how I got it and it seems to feel nicer than the stock setup.

Yea I agree in the picture it looks like they are different, but that was the first part we measured and they are exactly the same. We've come to the conclusion its just settings and none of the parts are different. We managed to lower his earlier today and it is driving nicer.

Hey Golds thats awesome stuff! I saw a video on youtube of a guy jumping a drz down some stairs and he totally bottomed it out and so I always assumed someone had done something similar with mine. Thanks for posting that link it makes me feel a little better... but the thing runs awesome so I wasn't worried anymore.

As for the height, my friend and I both like the lower feel better and thats why we wanted to figure it out, to lower his a bit. I think the way it works is that the rebound is set pretty weak as well as the spring tension so after you sit on it it doesn't pop all the way back up. I can lift the back of my bike up and it fully extends the shock but it naturally sits a little lower. Again, I don't know about the correctness of this setup it was just how I got it and it seems to feel nicer than the stock setup.

Yeah, my bike runs fantastic as well, and my frame damage is worse than yours LOL. The height diff in the rear is not just settings, free length of the shock is not affected by the settings. I have measured everything, dog bone, links, shock length. I'm stumped my brother inlaws bike is an 07, and mine is 05. Could be that, or could be something is bent from the jumping... I dunno

Anyways, enjoy the bike, you wont have trouble with it. There are a few other members here with those bikes, no issues yet that I've heard of. Some were pretty beat up though, cracked case covers...

Where are you in Ontario anyways?

Take Care, Golds

I'm in Waterloo. I rode with a few guys from supermoto junkie that are in the area but never more than once. I was going to ask you where in Ontario you are, maybe we can get together for a ride sometime!