Sign in to follow this  

Kid's bikes

I was just curious if you guys ever thought about making a "what bike thread" for kids? Something like what we have over in the Thumpette section. I was wondering becuase I have two neice's that both just turned 2. They are both about the same size, which is 35-40lbs and about 38" tall. I know that becuase I never know if I should put the seat belt normally in their carseat (for kids over 40lbs) or through the back(for kids up to 30lbs), and because I took 'em to the county fair and both of 'em passed the 36" hieght requirement. While we were there, one of 'em walked over to a TTR50 that was being raffled off and got up on it, by herself, and could touch the pegs! The dealership guy thought she was 3 almost 4! I let her play on my buddies YZ250 the day before, and I think I may have started something good! I told my sister's that once they both can ride pedal bikes (which one is doin real good at), (and I get some extra $$) I'd buy 'em a bike to keep at grandma's house. I know the PW is smaller then the TTR50, so they'd definitly be able to touch on that, but I've also thought about getting a Mini Adventure, so it'd last longer. I know that I can find a PW/KDX/JR, etc for a good $400 or so around here, but how's the hop-up potential on these bikes? Unless they show a super amount of interest, then it's going to be a bike to just toy around and keep for a few years. What about training wheels? Just til they can touch the ground? Any advice from all of you who have been there? Both kids are pretty rough and tumble, ride battery operated atvs, barbie jeeps, and go for atv rides, the rougher the better kind of kids.

Great Post pyro,

the hop up potential on the jr50 or kdx50 (same bike) is great there is a lot you can do to them as they grow into the bike, the pw50 also has a great mod potential, but not as good as the jr50/kdx50,

all 3 bikes are in my opinion the best bike to start a kid of 3 or 4 off on,

i like the jr50/kdx50 more because it has real foot pegs, a real rear brake that you use with your foot. and it has a chain so you can adjust gear ratios for different tracks or riding. plus the jr50/kdx50 just looks more like a big bike, i used rm65 graphics cut down of course on my sons jr50 the suzuki makita ones that carmichael ran and it made the jr50 look really sharp and custom, i have wrote 2 good mods options here in pee-wee 1 on the jr50 and one on the pw50 for available mods to start with.

either way they are both good bikes.

the mini is great my son had 3 of them a 03 07 08, but keep in mind the maint. is a lot more then the other little 50's and it is a bigger learning curve to overcome putting htem on one of these first rather then a jr50 etc. i would say buy a used jr50 for there first year or so, then sell it and get a mini, the jr50 will prepare them for the mini, plus the jr50/kdx50 has 2 different height adjustments on them so you can lower them then raise them as the little ones grow, the mini adv. also has this option but is still taller then the jr50

the what bike thread is a great idea, i could write one for what bike for kids that want to race, but as far as what bike for kids that just want to ride and have fun, i dont think i would be the best to write that one, maybe fryboy or someone else would want to write one up?

• Like 1