Sign in to follow this  

Differences in SPark Plugs?

I have a Yamaha YZ 250 and have used the plug BR8EG for the last two years with never a problem.

I decided that maybe I should pro actively replace it before it fouls on me at the starting line of a Hare Scramble.

I had some spare plugs that I purchased that were BR8EIX I know the dealer told me these plugs were for my year model but I can't remember what the difference in them is...

Does anyone know if the I'll be OK racing HS's with the BR8EIX...I've had such good luck with the other I feel like I'm jinxig myself.

Thanks for any feedback.

I'm pretty ignorant on Plugs and the different types...so I'm assuming the

BR8EIX is the Iridium Plug?

Thanks,

The plugs start from a basic model such as the BR8ES series. The next is the BR8EG which is supposed to be slightly better. The EIX uses Iridium, a precious metal, on the electrode.

The difference is the metal the electrode is made of. Supposedly the precious metal types last longer and resist fowling. Power??? MXA ran a test years ago that showed differences in power, but nothing that made the expensive plugs worthwhile.

I am running an eix without issues, but have also ran es's for thousands of miles without incident. The es's are usually around 2.00 each and the eix can sell for anywhere from 8-12.00.

I'm pretty ignorant on Plugs and the different types...so I'm assuming the

BR8EIX is the Iridium Plug?

Thanks,

wp-1 here's a link to some good information. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/index.asp?mode=nml

Look in tech support for the FAQ's on plugs, contains most all questions regarding plugs. This is an easy read with short and simple answers, yet is very informative. At the bottom of the page to the question What do the numbers and letters mean is a link to a breakdown. Also check out the tech overview for plugs, again simple,short and informative. I'd recommend this to anyone interested in learning about plugs. :)

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed a difference in power based on the type, or grade of plug used?

Has anyone noticed a difference in power based on the type, or grade of plug used?

I noticed a better throttle reponse with the iridium plug.

Don't know if it translated to more HP or not but there was an improvement in response.

I have run them for the last 4 years without a problem.

noticed better throttle response with the BR9EIX.

however, this plug costs more and is prone to plug fouling in series of long, slow trail riding, unlike the BR9ES, which is less sensitive with jetting.

ive never tried the ES series but from my experience with the EG's and EIX's i can say that i definitely like the iridium plug better. I had a 125 that really liked to foul plugs even though it was jetted decently, once i switched from the EG to the EIX all the fouling problems went away. Ive been running the iridium plugs ever since. In my opinion the EIX makes the bike a little easier to start, tiny bit better response if any, but most of all ive never fouled an iridium plug in my bikes.

Hallsy,

Thanks for the link...I will check that out.

I ran the EIX plug today and my bike ran great, but...it always runs good...so I can't say if it is any better than the EG plug or not. My main concern is really to not foul plugs and am not too concerned about any performance gains by going to the more expensive plug.

Based on my limited experience the EG and the EIW both work great for my YZ250 on Hare Scrambles with a lot of low rpm riding mixed in with high Revs and high speed portions.

Guys, now that you mention it, my bike does start easily with the EIX. I have not had to kick it more than twice since installing. That includes those half -hearted.....I HAVE TENNIS SHOES ON AND DONT NEED A TI PEG IN THE SHIN kicks.

I recently bought a used KX125. I pulled the plug the other day just to have a look. It is the EIX type plug that is spec'd for the bike. The plug was coated black like the jetting is too rich. If you saw the plug you would wonder how it ran, but it starts on the first kick.

When I replace the plug today it will be with another EIX type.

I run an EIX in my '06 YZ250 and also in my nephew's '04 CR85R.

Both bikes start easier and haven't fouled a plug since I switched.

I recall reading that the EIX plugs are made to be more resistant to fouling, but maybe I'm dreaming. 👍