Sign in to follow this  

1981 XR80 setup for years

My son and I are working on this bike that has been setting up for around 15 years. The clutch will not disengage. If it is in neutral you can spin the back wheel freely. If you put it in any gear the back wheel will turn the engine even if the clutch is pulled. I would guess the plates inside are stuck together. Is there anyway to free them up without pulling the side? Also what are the chances of the valves and rings holding up? Thanks Danny

Try forcefully moving it back and forth in first with the clutch pulled. If that doesn't work why just pull the cover and pry a flat head screw driver in between each plate with the clutch pulled. Once they are free, pull the clutch and pour fresh oil in between them.

Why are you afraid to pull the cover off?

Thanks for the tip. Tried moving back and forth in first with the clutch pulled it didn't break free. I did finally pull the cover and get the plates apart with a screw driver. Now I am waiting on new screws and a gasket to come in.

Sorry I am a little late with this. What I do after getting the bike running is to ride while holding the clutch lever in gassing it and letting off until the clutch plates break free.This has always worked for me, I work on lots of bikes that have sat for a while. The old Yamaha's would stick after setting for a few weeks! good luck

wayne