Sign in to follow this  

XR4 dual sport in Calif.

Hey, I've got a 2002 XR400 (OFF HIGHWAY on Ca. title)... any chance on "plating" this one? Any thoughts, suggestions, or ridicule welcome. Thanks, Bob.

Search this forum, the California forum, and the dual-sport forum.

There are about 200+ posts on the subject.

There is always a chance. Most posts will say you can't.

The DMV stopped allowing it in February 2002.

Where do you ride?

Get it plated in Arizona. Very easy to do, they don't even look at the stuff on your bike only the serial numbers on the frame and engine. Lots of guys come to the DMV in Bullhead City and get their plates. Once done you can transfer to California.

I just put a switch on the rear master cylinder for brake lights, a mirror, and a 9 volt battery powered horn on my XR4. Total investment was under $60.00. Oh, don't forget insurance.

Thanks, question though... I have no AZ. address, how does that work

Hey, Kennedy Meadows, Ocatillo Wells... I prefer trails, high dsert, lake beds, etc...

You get to know someone in AZ who will help you out. It's not hard to do. Just ask.

You get to know someone in AZ who will help you out. It's not hard to do. Just ask.

I think Red Dogga is hinting something or am i mistaken :) ???

Get it plated in Arizona. Very easy to do, they don't even look at the stuff on your bike only the serial numbers on the frame and engine. Lots of guys come to the DMV in Bullhead City and get their plates. Once done you can transfer to California.

I just put a switch on the rear master cylinder for brake lights, a mirror, and a 9 volt battery powered horn on my XR4. Total investment was under $60.00. Oh, don't forget insurance.

i would tread cautiously, california requires a visual inspection for out of state vehicles being registered in california.

That may or may not be the case. All I know is that my son-in-law brought his new CRF450X out here and registered it here and got a Arizona plate. He took it home to his place in Dana Point and soon had a California plate instead. The same day we were at the DMV here getting his bike done, I was talking with some other California residents who were doing the same thing with their KTM's. And one of them was a 300 2smoke. Go figure:excuseme:

Now if that isn't a paranoid response I don't know what is 👍. Somebody has been watching too much TV :worthy:. No offense, but don't you think that's a little over the top.

the truth of the matter is that people get lucky with the dmv and receive a plate. the problem is, carb (california air resources board) is conducting an audit of ohv which have received a street plate. if those vehicles are found to not be compliant with highway vehicle emission standards, then the plates are being revoked retroactively. see the link below.

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/CA.html

i would suggest that anybody looking to plate a bike in california do their homework.

• Like 1

Now if that isn't a paranoid response I don't know what is 👍. Somebody has been watching too much TV :worthy:. No offense, but don't you think that's a little over the top.

No, it isn't over the top. I agree with Kev. We need to be careful on these open forum. There are other ways to communicate.

If some of us seem paranoid, it is for good reason. Our government will stop at nothing to protect us from ourselves!

All true about the gov. PM is the best way to do it. Get er done and quit bitchin.