Sign in to follow this  

Different power valve spring rates?

I want my power valve to open only at higher revs. I have turned the adjuster nut all the way in and its still not enough.

Are there different springs with different spring rates? If so how can I tell what is my spring rate?

I want my power valve to open only at higher revs. I have turned the adjuster nut all the way out and its still not enough.

Are there different springs with different spring rates? If so how can I tell what is my spring rate?

They are colored. I know many come with the yellow in place, green, milder, red, more aggressive. Then you can fine tune each with the external adjustment.

If you cant see the paint how do you tell? How do you fine tune it?

I just bought a 250xc and the springs for the power valve should go like this the softer spring should give you the more aggresive hit while the harder spring will make it "smoothier"

get the green spring, it's the stiffest and will delay the hit. If not, get the G2 ergonomics cammed throttle tube.

Do they have a part number for the green spring?

How can I take out the old spring and install the new one?

I don't have the number but search and it'll pop right up. A good KTM parts man will know. Yea, just pull the cover and swap with whats there. Most had yellow stock.

is there no one around ya that has a 250 or 300, that is not using their green spring?

My dealer says that I can order only the yellow spring 👍

My dealer says that I can order only the yellow spring 👍

He's talking crap.

I ordered 3 spare springs, here are the part numbers:

Yellow: 54637072300

Red : 54837072000

Green: 54637072100

He's talking crap.

dazzabb is on the money, doesn't say much for your dealer. But in his defense I don't think the optional springs (red, green) were available back in 99'. In regards to install you need to know that the springs are bathed in your tranny fluid. If you change them with your bike in an upright position you'll want to drain the fluid first. However you can change them without draining the fluid, if you lay the bike on it's side.

He's talking crap.

In regards to install you need to know that the springs are bathed in your tranny fluid. If you change them with your bike in an upright position you'll want to drain the fluid first. However you can change them without draining the fluid, if you lay the bike on it's side.

Thanks, will check it out. Parts are coming 👍

They found it now :worthy::busted:

You dont even have to lay it on its side, just strap it to your truck handle and let it lean.