Sign in to follow this  

Hands numb

I have finally been riding my bike to work the last week. I ride side roads and freeways. Either way, my hands seem to go numb. It's only about a 5-6 mile commute. Is this normal? I am riding stock tires. Would different tires make this better, or is this what you get with a single thumper? :)

TIA

I've never had my hands go numb ( just my backside ) riding a DRZ, but that's on an SM. I don't know how much the S's DeathWings contribute to vibration.

Dont ride tite, let the bike do what it wants to do.

I've got these on my DRZ, work great on the street and dirt. Stock grips still yield a smooth ride with flexx bars. The stock DRZ speedo interferes with their cross bar pad, but other than that, fitment is a snap.

http://www.fasstco.com/

I've got these on my DRZ, work great on the street and dirt. Stock grips still yield a smooth ride with flexx bars. The stock DRZ speedo interferes with their cross bar pad, but other than that, fitment is a snap.

http://www.fasstco.com/

Those are some sweet bars. The price is salty though.

I agree, loosen up on your grip and relax and let the bike work. I used to ride like that and would get major arm pump with in 20mins or so. Also change your bars to Aluminum ones, they make a huge differnece compared to metal bars.:)

Those are some sweet bars. The price is salty though.

Not to be flippant, but carpal tunnel syndrome treatments/surgery aint' cheap either. Both my boys called me a wuss for putting on the flexx bars until they took my bike down a rough trail, now they're wanting a set!

I may be a noob, but 2250 miles on my 400sm in a month have taught me alot. First, it will get better, ride a little further forward and grip the tank with your knees. Not a death grip! Same for the hands, especially your right hand. Alternate your throttle hand grip, changing hand position and squeezing with different fingers keeps you from cramping up. I changed my grips and filled my bars with silicone. Also changed my front sprocket to a 16 tooth, this was like adding a 6th gear and eliminated alot of vibration at freeway speeds. And I guess I am just toughening up and getting used to it, actually look forward to riding to work.

Not to be flippant, but carpal tunnel syndrome treatments/surgery aint' cheap either. Both my boys called me a wuss for putting on the flexx bars until they took my bike down a rough trail, now they're wanting a set!

How much does it interfere with the speedo? Lets see pics. I like the bars.

shouldnt have to grip the bars to much at all i always hold the bars pretty lose unless i am riding like an idoit then i hang on for dear life :-)

You can install gel grips and dont hang on so tight.

Agreed, Don't hang on so tight, lit the bike do what it wants. I always get arm pump after a long winter, and then I learn to relax again. Go ahead and hug it w/ your knees, she ain't gonna bite.:)

Are you using tight fitting gloves? Try a test run with some basic leather work gloves that fit loose and see if that helps.

Loosen your grip on the bars. Sounds like your riding very tense.

it really is that simple. No matter how soft the grips are, if you have a death grip on the bars, you will have problems.

My grips and bars are rock hard, never have an issue, even on 600+ mile days.....relax.

I have the same issue with my two longest fingers, and main member, very strange...no one else I know experiences this. What's up, it's a stock seat?

yeah you're gripping too tightly, i used to ride a cbr600rr and was constantly numb, but the drz has never given me a hint of numbness, even with the bar ends removed.