Sign in to follow this  

Newer Suspension on an 01 YZ125

I got the idea into my head today that I would like to put a newer front suspension on my 01 YZ125 project.

Would a complete front end off of a newer bike work if I used triple clamps w/stem, forks, wheel, and brake?

It would just come down to weather the stem bearings and races would fit or not, right?

What would I be checking for? Stem lenght, and if the races fit the frame. Am I missing something here?

Did a little search button research and found another topic that mentioned swapping out the stem should it be a different length. Look for a write up on this swap coming soon.

The YZ's supposedly used the same size forks till '06, so happy hunting

I really don't see the point though, an '01 is not horribly antiquated and should be able to be revalved and/or re-sprung for your needs unless the legs are physically damaged or missing

My thing was to switch to the newer wheels/hubs. I'm having a really hard time finding a nice brake rotor for this thing.

I put 04 front suspension on my 02 YZ 250. I used the 02 front wheel and brakes. The main difference in my situation was the diameter of the fork tubes. The 02 had 46's I believe and the 04 has 48's. So I needed to use different upper and lower tripple clamps. As far as everything else fitting it was just a bolt on operation bearings, stem length everyting fit fine. All I did was pull off the front end of the 02 and swap it with a 04. Then put the 02 front end on the 04 easy switch.

The 02-07 wheels fit up fine. You just have to use the 02+ spacers. I'm swapping to a newer set on my 99' for the same reason (brake rotors that aren't boat anchors).

hmmmmm --- my parts guy was misinformed then -- when i bought fork seals for my '01 (was a 250 though) , he said the forks were the same diam. thru '06.

thankfully he got me the right size that time :)

good luck with the project -- whats the unsprung weight difference for the newer rotors vs the older ones?

I don't have any specific info on your intended swap but I though I'd mention that I did the same thing on a 95 yz250 and upgraded to an 01 426 front end. My reasons were more so I could stock one set of forks and wheels for all 3 of my bikes but if anything I'd guess more changed from 95-01 (2 stroke to 4) then the 01-present stuff. I'd be blown away if it didn't just bolt right up. Good luck and let everyone know how it goes.