Sign in to follow this  

I went in six clicks compression, do I need to change the rebound?

Are the rebound and compresssion clickers independant of one another or does one affect the other? I have a 2007 yz450f and I set the forks and rear shock at 6 clicks out from bottom and they feel good. No more harsh bottoming on the forks, used to feel like I diddnt have any support on bigger jumps kept going in on theclickers till I did. I respung the rear shock to a 5.8 helped alot with bottoming for me. Is there a formula to set the dampening?

the compression is not related to the rebound so you are good to go.

Not true on the shock. At around 6-7 clicks out, the rebound starts to seriously affect the compression. This is due to the compression bleed being thru the rebound clicker needle. This can get you in trouble on sharp edges (pot holes, etc) on jump faces. Revalve until you're around 10-12 clicks out.

Are you talking about the compression clickers affecting the rebound at around 6-7 clicks from bottomed?

No, on the shock, the rebound setting affects the compression. To test what I'm saying, turn the rebound all the way in and push down on the seat and feel the difference. Back the rebound out one click at a time and feel the difference. At about 7 to 8 clicks out you will probably notice that the rebound is no longer noticably affecting the compression.

No, on the shock, the rebound setting affects the compression. To test what I'm saying, turn the rebound all the way in and push down on the seat and feel the difference. Back the rebound out one click at a time and feel the difference. At about 7 to 8 clicks out you will probably notice that the rebound is no longer noticably affecting the compression.

You are answering a question NOT asked...he asked if the COMPRESSION affected the rebound...:D Not saying you are wrong, just that you could be adding to his confusion...:)

Well I went ridding today and the forks bottomed harsher than I ever felt before, they even mad a clank/ping noise as they did it. They bottomed so hard that it jarred my right hand pretty good. I first noticed them feeling like they didnt have as much bottoming resistance after a wreck, did i break something in the fork or do you think Im just breaking them in? The fork tubes twisted in the clamps and I blew out the wheel bearings. Im around 200 pounds with out gear. Before the wreck they felt great. I dont think there leaking oil as I havent noticed any on the stanctions/lower legs. I am thinking about adding 5cc of fork oil in each leg as I have read that this can solve harsh bottoming. What do you think?

Well I went ridding today and the forks bottomed harsher than I ever felt before, they even mad a clank/ping noise as they did it. They bottomed so hard that it jarred my right hand pretty good. I first noticed them feeling like they didnt have as much bottoming resistance after a wreck, did i break something in the fork or do you think Im just breaking them in? The fork tubes twisted in the clamps and I blew out the wheel bearings. Im around 200 pounds with out gear. Before the wreck they felt great. I dont think there leaking oil as I havent noticed any on the stanctions/lower legs. I am thinking about adding 5cc of fork oil in each leg as I have read that this can solve harsh bottoming. What do you think?

I think you need to respring your forks.

i would take them apart and have a look, if they feel different now something is wrong.

KTM-Lew:

He asked "Are the rebound and compresssion clickers independant of one another or does one affect the other?" I answered the question correctly--on the shock they are NOT independent. While the compression doesn't affect the rebound, the rebound does affect the compression......

This is an important concept that most riders aren't aware of and should be.

• Like 1

What should I be looking at to see whats broken/worn in the forks? Ive been ridding them with the compression clickers at 6 out from bottomed. Works but deflects off of the smaller stuff. But I want to get back their original level of performance.

its most likely just the oil is not doing its job any more.You need to check the base and midvalve nuts are tight, nothing is holding the shim stacks open.

What should I be looking at to see whats broken/worn in the forks? Ive been ridding them with the compression clickers at 6 out from bottomed. Works but deflects off of the smaller stuff. But I want to get back their original level of performance.

I'm confused. It's been a year and a half and you're just now investigating the cause of this issue?

Not intending to be a jackass here, just thought it was a little odd after reading through this thread.

Ive been ridding them stiff. My bike is currently waiting for parts so Im fixing what I can while its down.

Ive changed the oil several times. I just changed the fork sanction bushings and dampning rod oil and outer oil. the damping rod does have wear about two inches down the rod at full extension where it inserts, the coating is worn through to chrome. The dampning rods seem to bleed properly, they extend to full extension by themselves. Before I wrecked with them I had the compression 2 clicks in from stock and now Im 6 in. and I weigh 175 now.