Sign in to follow this  

Aprilia RXV VS Husky TE 2008

Hey guys, I am curious if any of you could give a FAIR COMPARISON:p btwn the aprilia and TE. Things I do like:thumbsup: , look, the swing arm is really cool, it offers the 550 instead of the 510 which is nice, the dealership which is pretty big says they have many parts in stock (and I have heard you guys have had a tuff time getting parts with the BMW factor) They are only 15min away, where husky is 25min or more with traffic (not huge difference though: )

Things I don't like:thumbsdn: , almost 20lbs heavier:crazy: 45mm forks instead of 50mm:banghead: , carb :) (I don't know why but I am really stuck on the EFI... does anybody know if the 09 may coming in with the FI?:D ), the "dual" exshust looks sick but I cant see how I could ever add an after market, they don't seem to have much for aftermarket parts, it is 5 speed not 6:cry: , it v twin:D (which also happens to be one of the best things I like) but my guess is service and rebuilds would be expensive:eek: .

I am sure you guys have seen me asking questions before but to recap I want high end dirt bike that I can grow into and is street legal. This is my first bike but I will scale it down until I get the hang of it:prof: . I want the larger engine since the weight is minimal and so it handles freeway speed. The dealer in escondido who sells aprilia and husky said I should stay away from aprilia since they have had a small group of owners with trouble and that the hit is to much for a beginner:rant: . This is my first bike but I think I will catch on quick and have a passion for this sport:applause: . So what is your take.:ride: Oh and I expect to buy a set of SM tires for street use when commuting. The rear tire I will get a seperate rim sprocket (knock down a couple teeth for street too) along with front tire and rims. Don't know if this makes much difference. Do they have quick change kits for this kind of thing: , I finally get to start saving up and I think I am going to buy it out right:banana: thanks so much for the help, give me good advise and when you are in the area I will let you take it for a spin on some fun local trails:cheers: you guys can teach me how to use my new weapon:worthy: :banghead: Thanks again for all of your expertise, another big factorI am still thinking about that sick husky beer rack, would that fit the aprilia:busted::worthy:

Note, I am looking at the Aprilia website and noticed that the bike online has a single exhaust, what was I looking at in the show room with two smaller tips tuck neatly under the rear? Oh will I want to replace the skid plate on the apriia... it looks like it is plastic

both the RXV's and TE's are fuel injected (all 08 street legal Husky's are fuel injected)

The TE wins hands down in reliability, maintenance and parts availabilty in my experiences.

The RXV wins hands down the sexy factor and very unique, however very impractical if you are not overly mechanically inclined and using it for race purposes and not relying on it for transportation.

I have owned a 2007 RXV550 and it was a hoot, however 3 show stopping failures in under 87 miles of ownership and 3 months to fix really soured me. Traded it off to a friend after it was fixed as he wanted a garage queen and this fit the bill. His neighbor fell in love with it and took it in trade from my buddy. 3rd owner put 2k miles on it and it was falling apart internally and engine cases had already been split twice prior to the 2k mile bad news and he did nothing but ride it casually and serviced it frequently. His story is not the only one unfortunately. They have supposedly addressed some of the issues for 2008, but still a very very high maintenance race bike.

I'd go with TE450/510 all the way given your criteria.

• Like 1

He told me up front that the 07s had some issues, are you guys comfortable with the 08. I have an S10 but a bike in the shop or garage seems like a waste of 9K:rant: . And the 08 Aprilia is EFI?:):D It said it had a 38mm carb

What about the 45mm forks, what is the difference btwn those and the 50mm

also how (when it worked) did you like the V twin. Any characters of noticable difference btwn single and V?:worthy:

Thanks again, I am very sure I will stick with husky but damn that aprilia looks good:worthy:

for a first bike, the aprillia is a terrible choice. i don't care if you think you're really gonna be into it or not, or what kinda personality you have. the aprillia is NOT a good first bike. especially in the dirt (from what i read in Dirt Bike mag reviews) it just is hard to ride from hitting so hard. and with all the reliability problems, you might just be turned off from riding altogether with a bad first experience. i'm definitely a husky fan, but a husky, ktm, husaberg or almost any other dual sport would be a better first bike. if you absolutely have to have bling/exotica factor...any of these bikes i mentioned will do it. if i was you, i'd buy a used first bike = lots less money and most people don't really use their bikes that much anyway.

• Like 1

for a first bike, the aprillia is a terrible choice. i don't care if you think you're really gonna be into it or not, or what kinda personality you have. the aprillia is NOT a good first bike. especially in the dirt (from what i read in Dirt Bike mag reviews) it just is hard to ride from hitting so hard. and with all the reliability problems, you might just be turned off from riding altogether with a bad first experience. i'm definitely a husky fan, but a husky, ktm, husaberg or almost any other dual sport would be a better first bike. if you absolutely have to have bling/exotica factor...any of these bikes i mentioned will do it. if i was you, i'd buy a used first bike = lots less money and most people don't really use their bikes that much anyway.

easy now, it is just a question. I agree with you after reading the last few post and the link another person posted. I am just curious if the 08 are having the same probs, being 08/08 I would assume that people would have a handle on how reliable these new models are. I live in so cal so open trails and desert is the biggest player in these areas but I must say the hit you guys speak of scares me even more, I want a bike I can grow with not one to trade in for a casket:busted: I like husky, just curious since I just found out I have an aprilia dealer so close. As for exotic of course that is a factor or I would not have spent so much time looking into euro manufactures. And that is the other issue, I am unsure if I want to take such a hit on the price tag, I have yet to see a used aprilia in my area. Thanks (I think) for the rant, I will take it at as your expeirence and honesty trying to keep a pulse in my body.:)

While on this topic and considering I might buy road tires, would you guys suggest the 450 or 510/550 assuming just for info that I am still considering aprilia as my preferred euthanasia:lol: :D (figure worse ways to go:p )

I think you would be better off with a Factory WORKS CR500 for a starter bike vs. a RXV. The cost of a rebuild in parts would kill you plus the labour on top of that and you would be spending somewhere in the $4000+ range because there are hardly any aftermarket parts. So you would be using all OEM parts wich are cheap. Plus you have twice the amount to fix when it does through both cylinders in less that 12,000 Miles and thats being extreamly genorus. That would be ridding it like a grandma, with all valves check at proper times, oil changes, and so on.

You think about your purchase first. I used to be a loose cannon like you and take everyone elses world like you might. When i was looking at getting a bike i was scared of modern 4 strokes, yet alone having another cylinder to mess up on top of that.

Just stick with a single cylinder for your health. Its not good to pull hair from your head when your bike is in the shop instead of a snoty trail.

Just my $.02.

• Like 1

I was trying to make the same decision 6 months ago.

I spent a good deal of time reading everything on this forum and

the Australian Dirt magazine that tested both in the Enduro versions.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

All the reading paid off and I ended up on this forum with the TE510.

It is no SLOUCH when you turn the throttle and will put just as big of grins on your face!

• Like 1

I saw in my latest SuperMotoRacer magazine, an ad that said the new SXV (and I'm assuming the RXV) has new engine internals for reliability, and even has a six-month warranty now. Isn't that as long as Husky's?

Considering this is your first bike, and obviously you're more interested in learning to ride instead of posing, I'd seriously recommend a more forgiving bike like a Suzuki DRZ. It will have a more managable powerband than the Husky and is far more comfortable on the road. Granted it isn't as COOL as a Husky, but a TE510 isnt what I'd call a starter bike....not even close.

I am serious about the TE not the RVS:thumbsup: . I was just curious what you guys thought and no I don't want to die:banghead: . As for the Suzuki, I am not sold. If I was going to get a "starter" I would buy a used one of any name cheep until I got the hang of the sport. But the idea here (and please tell me if I am just setting myself up for frustration or failure) is to get a bike I can grow into then grow with:excuseme: . I will not upgrade of buy a newer version until my skill is above the bike, which is safe to say will be some time in the next life if ever. I want to learn the bikes personality instead of developing one and trying to make a machine fit mine.:worthy: I would like to be competitive (not comp) but push myself as far as I can SAFELY.

Plus many guys have given me tips for way to make the power more managable until I have enough hours. I originally was looking at the TE 250 but everybody said it would not be sufficient for road use at highway speeds. I mean most guys on the street learn on a 600cc, so as long as I don't gun it like a dumbass I would assume I would be fine right:confused: :) . I will say that many suggested the 450 over the 510. Apparently it delivers power more smoothly without the overwhelming hit. Again please tell me if I am distorting the info presented on this site and make incorrect opinions. I would also ask that some of you tone it down:naughty: , you are coming on as a father, I am 24, married for 3yrs, in this relationship for 8, and just put my 2 year old to bed. I am more responsible then most of the kids my age riding. Look at my posts on TS. I am no idiot nor am I immature:rant: . I thank all of you for your response but please read my post before you attack me, or am I just begging whiny?:ride:

Oh and please if you have something to add to the comparison please do so. I will safely say that with this much advise I will stay away from the aprilia... promise:thumbsup: . However I would like and sure some of the guys on here would like to know how both machines compare. Personally I would still go with Husky even at pro level (look at their titles) but I am interested very much in all exotic brands:banana: . Thanks again guys. Back to trying to get your points though to me.

Oh and I am giving good gas to everyone whom responds if I missed you please PM. I means a lot that you guys are willing to come on here and spend your time to help a newbie:worthy: :D

edit: I would also like if you guys could go through the different specs and give me your views of what why how etc like V twin or 5 speed instead of 6, also when considering the husky remember I am 6'0" and 250lbs. I am heavy but very athletic, I can jog over 6 miles in an less then an hour for example, not that this is olympic caliber but I doubt many guy in the 180 range could pass me or out lift me. (3rd in state in ice hockey... MVP in juniors at 14 and 15 lifted wieghts in HS... not a couch potato by any means) Not trying to seem arrogant just want you guys to know me a little better. If your opinions remain, then maybe I need to sit down and think a little more before I make my decision. Thanks again. Either way back to comparisons:banana:

Im a newbee also, i wanted an 06 450sm sooooo bad but after i learned more about it( oil changes, valve adj, life of the engine) i went with the 07 610sm. i do alot of road riding and its perfect for me. i think the hp is about the same, maybe more than the 450 and much more livable for my uses. its no highway cruiser but 70-80mph with the bigger 16 tooth is great.

plus your gonna hate the seat on a 450-510, there harder and smaller than the 610 and its no day at the beach.

either way you ll be happy but you might be happier longer with the 610.

i think you are out of your mind getting a 510 as your first bike.

edit

you have a kid? buy a tame bike. you cant help your family hurt.

I have to agree with others on not choosing the 510 as your first bike, but if you do, keep the throttle stop on it for a while, get a cammed throttle tube to slow down the bottom end hit, & maybe gear it taller to take out even more bottom end hit. It can be an animal that'll bite an unexperienced rider. They don't call it The Big Bad Wolf for nuthin:D :) << (thats me for the last 2 1\2 years & 5 surgeries)

P.S. I'm an experienced rider who used to practically live on dirt bikes, unfortunately the last time I rode one before the Husky purchase was 1983, I was doing about 2 MPH when my Big Bad Wolf bit me. Please reconsider buying a bike this powerful. Find an offroad training course that provides bikes. Then get something small for a while until you get your riding skills up.

When I was looking at the 510 for desert racing I also looked at the Aprilia as well. I have done road racing and have owned a couple of Aprilia rs250 bikes for road racing and loved them so I looked at the Aprilia. It had been out for a few years and figured they would have worked most of the bugs out of it. I had a TC450 and was looking at the 510 for the bigger engine in the desert and talked to the dealer about the Aprilia. The response I got was, get the Husky, you will be happier and be able to race more. He also mentioned if I did get the Aprilia, to get the 450, said the 550 was way overkill for offroad, no matter how wide open and fast the desert is here in D38. The big turn off to the Aprilia was a lack of a bigger tank so that sealed the deal on getting a 510.

Now I saw some pics from a bike show in Italy last year of an Aprilia MXV and that was a nice looking 450 and I would consider one of those for an MX bike. That way if it died I would be on an MX track and I could push it to the truck instead of being stuck out in the middle of the desert. What I thought was neat were the shorty pipes that exit down near where the swing arm bolts to the frame instead of two large pipes coming up underneath the seat (I have bashed a few pipes up in the desert....the lack of pipes is a neat feature!)

The MXV450

http://londonbikers.com/news/4526/aprilia-mxv-450-motocrosser

I think its great a new rider feels so comfortable to get on here, ask for help, and then get a bike. Welcome to dirt biking-its a great sport!

As for running 6 miles in under an hour--wish i could do that. :D

Heres my take:

Get a brand new TE510. Its light. Its super reliable. Very little maintenance. Its cool. And its versatile.

Follow Ruffus' advice. Keep the motor 100% stock. DONT remove the smog stuff, DONT remove the throttle stop. Add a 16 tooth front sprocket. Add a larger fuel tank.

Ride this bike for a year or more and learn the basic skills. Enjoy the desert and the mountains, and venture out to some far off places and stop and marvel at it all.

Once you have the basic skills down, you can take out the throttle stop and ride it around like that for another 6 months. Once you have 2 years on the bike--take off the smog crap, and replace the rear exhaust with an opened up can and you will have a very very capable bike that will fit your skills.

Thats what ya outta do. :)

1st recommendation would be used - anything for a year then sell.

2nd recommendation would be "where do you want the bike to excel at - road or the open riding areas you mentioned? Cause if you want something that does both really well then the TE610 might be the best choice.

3rd recommendation is - if you really want a new bike - Aprilla vs Husqvarna - Husqvarna all the way for all the reasons mentioned.

I 99% agree with Ekim - but 10 seconds might need to be spent getting the vent tubes sorted out cause the first time you lay the bike down they will fill up with fuel and the bike will not run - at all. I say 99% because I would take the smog stuff off before the throttle stop cause that canister is not placed well and could catch on something.

I think its great a new rider feels so comfortable to get on here, ask for help, and then get a bike. Welcome to dirt biking-its a great sport!

As for running 6 miles in under an hour--wish i could do that. :D

Heres my take:

Get a brand new TE510. Its light. Its super reliable. Very little maintenance. Its cool. And its versatile.

Follow Ruffus' advice. Keep the motor 100% stock. DONT remove the smog stuff, DONT remove the throttle stop. Add a 16 tooth front sprocket. Add a larger fuel tank.

Ride this bike for a year or more and learn the basic skills. Enjoy the desert and the mountains, and venture out to some far off places and stop and marvel at it all.

Once you have the basic skills down, you can take out the throttle stop and ride it around like that for another 6 months. Once you have 2 years on the bike--take off the smog crap, and replace the rear exhaust with an opened up can and you will have a very very capable bike that will fit your skills.

Thats what ya outta do. :)

These bikes will *definitely* bite back if used incorrectly. My 2006 TE250 bit me and like Ruffus I've been nursing a broken leg for 2.5 years, but that was my fault, not the bikes.

Am I the only one that thinks the Aprillia's are butt ugly? I test rode one too - I thought my Yamaha was a beast to handle...the Aprillia made my Blue Tank handle like a motorcrosser.

sorry dude... not tryin to rain on your parade, but like a lot of guys have said here... you're gonna be learning.

there's nothin worse than somebody new to the sport who buys the most bitchin' bike ever and then either crashes his brains out and/or scares the crap outta himself. then there's one more person who has a negative impression of the sport and/or injury.

example: i just got back from a road riding clinic TODAY where some new guy (1 year riding) was all proud of this big bad BMW he bought (way too big and powerful for a newb) and then crashed it today. only serious crash out of 40+ riders on some FRIGGIN gnarly roads. see what i'm saying???

oh yeah... i stayed up with my group on this rider with my little 510... most of them had twins. (re: you don't need the fastest bike to have a good time or ride with other people or have big balls)

this sport is awesome and i'm always stoked when somebody wants to get into it, but its important that you LEARN before you have a really fast bike. you're a hockey player right? what's the worst thing that can happen when you miss going for the puck? you just skated a little too far, or maybe you run into another player or even the boards. might hurt, but most likely not life threatening. what happens when you hit a corner too fast on a bike? you might run into a ditch, guardrail, another bike, car, guardrail, or a tree.

not tryin to scare you, but, you're asking for input, and i would like for you to have a positive learning experience... and hopefully really get into it.

i like some of the other guys suggestions. like buying a used bike first. ride a little. go out with people and maybe get to ride their bikes. then you'll know what you really want. or if you must have a husky, do like some of the other guys said and leave it stone stock.

above all, take a riding class from MSF or something so that you learn some basics. www.msf-usa.org

hope it works out well dude.

easy now, it is just a question. I agree with you after reading the last few post and the link another person posted. I am just curious if the 08 are having the same probs, being 08/08 I would assume that people would have a handle on how reliable these new models are. I live in so cal so open trails and desert is the biggest player in these areas but I must say the hit you guys speak of scares me even more, I want a bike I can grow with not one to trade in for a casket:busted: I like husky, just curious since I just found out I have an aprilia dealer so close. As for exotic of course that is a factor or I would not have spent so much time looking into euro manufactures. And that is the other issue, I am unsure if I want to take such a hit on the price tag, I have yet to see a used aprilia in my area. Thanks (I think) for the rant, I will take it at as your expeirence and honesty trying to keep a pulse in my body.:)

While on this topic and considering I might buy road tires, would you guys suggest the 450 or 510/550 assuming just for info that I am still considering aprilia as my preferred euthanasia:lol: :D (figure worse ways to go:p )

I have to agree with others on not choosing the 510 as your first bike, but if you do, keep the throttle stop on it for a while, get a cammed throttle tube to slow down the bottom end hit, & maybe gear it taller to take out even more bottom end hit. It can be an animal that'll bite an unexperienced rider. They don't call it The Big Bad Wolf for nuthin:D :worthy: << (thats me for the last 2 1\2 years & 5 surgeries)

P.S. I'm an experienced rider who used to practically live on dirt bikes, unfortunately the last time I rode one before the Husky purchase was 1983, I was doing about 2 MPH when my Big Bad Wolf bit me. Please reconsider buying a bike this powerful. Find an offroad training course that provides bikes. Then get something small for a while until you get your riding skills up.

I would do everything in my power to control its bite, taller gearing, throttle stop, leave cat on, stay away from the racing kit and so on. Again I don't just want the engine for killing my self but to also use on the freeway. And I will not touch a bike until I have gone through a reputable riding course both street and off road AND my wife and I are comfortable with my abilities.

I do have one question though, I thought the hit was in the high engine speed range? If it is low then I would stay away as I could not avoid it trying through me off every time I gave it a little gas. Please let me know thanks for all you input everyone, believe me it is not going unnoticed:worthy: 👍