Sign in to follow this  

CRF230L valve tolerances

I have searched the internet over. But can not find the valve tolerances for the 08 Honda CRF230L

Also, cannot find a Clymer, or like, repair manual.

Any help is appreciated.

after scouring my 230F manual, the valve clearances (cold) are .004in (.10mm) intake, and the same .004 on the exhaust. These specs are for the 230F, but the 230L has the same engine, so I don't see why they shouldn't be the same.

Yea it's .004 for the CRF230L . In the back of my owners manual there is a order form for a shop manual. You might could get it thru the dealer if you could stomach the $45 price tag. I need to get one myself.

Thanks for the info. I will look in my owners manual, for the manual order form. $45 bucks is steep but well worth it.

Has either of you noticed from low to mid throttle, the engine seems to smother, like it cannot breath or exhaust. This bugs me, but otherwise the bike is great.

Yea it's .004 for the CRF230L . In the back of my owners manual there is a order form for a shop manual. You might could get it thru the dealer if you could stomach the $45 price tag. I need to get one myself.

Thanks, I somehow missed that.There is also a link to a website on that order form but I didn't see anything but the owners manual available for sale. I'm hoping the online store isn't up to date though and they also have a number I'm going to call monday. www.helminc.com

the blubbering/sputtering between zero and 1/3 throttle are due to its overly lean fuel mixture. After you complete the intake/baffle removal procedure and re-jet the carb, start messing with your fuel screw. As a general rule, if you have to turn the fuel screw more then 3 turns out, you need the next largest pilot jet.

I Had Both Intake And Exhaust Set At .004 In. And The Engine Ran Rough And Sounded Horrible.

Closed The Gap In The Exhaust Valve To About .0025 - .003 And It Seems To Run And Sound Alot Better.

Am I Running A Risk Of Burning A Valve Up ?

Readjust your exhaust to .004in. Always the exhaust should run if anything a tad looser as it expands more due to heat.

YES, you can damage your engine.

Dwight