Sign in to follow this  

Training for an Enduro, part 2

...since I'm too lalalazy to go find the original :)

In my quest to become a monster(I hear you laughing BBBOM!) I tried this thing that I read a snippet of in a mag(that girl Jackie? from the Workout tv reality show says she uses this), and wow, it's good!

You put the incline all the way up on the treadmill(mine goes to 12%), then you put it at a easy speed, I used 3mph, and you basically do lunges. Stretch your stride out as far as you can, squat down as much as you can. I did three songs worth(about 5 minutes each) within 3 miles of walking--my butt is burning, my legs are jelly, and I was totally surprised how it pumps up the heart rate(hard cardio to boot!). SO give it a try, I'm going to use it for the long 90min+endurance workout, working up to alternating songs/5 minute intervals--lunge/rest walk. I'll see what my legs feel like tommorrow!

After a few weeks of using this it'll be cool to see how it affects my endurance standing up(right now I can do about an hour's worth on my track of continuous standing up, about 20 miles, then my legs are jelly--but on the trail I probably stand up 50/50, but haha, I like riding my bike best to workout my legs, duh!).

If you go like 1mph it's hard--hard to keep balance, and harder on the muscles(but the heart rate doesn't go up)

Whoa! That sounds brutal!! Can I accomplish the same walking up and down my dirt pile out back I wonder? I have run up and down it, but never thought slow stuff would accomplish as much... but looking at it like this, hmmm... BTW, I don't have a treadmill... :)

One thing I did on the treadmill during PT was to have it on an incline and go backwards at whatever speed you are comfortable. It builds your quads. After a few minutes they will be burning. I started out slow until I got comfortable with it and increased the speed and incline.