Sign in to follow this  

81 XL500S Key

Is there some way a key can be made for the steering and helmet locks for my bike? The iginition switch must of been changed because the key wont work the other locks, its actualy to big to go in.

Thanks

Tim

If you can find a key blank any real good locksmith would have the books with the key code and could cut one,I had one made for a old ct1-175 after I got the blank some times a good dealer can help find the key or blank you would need.

I agree completely. Try to stay away from the ebay keys for 7 or 8 bucks each and you have to have em cut. I went to a local Lock Smith and they had the keys there. It cost me 3 bucks to have two keys cut and they told me they could make a key even if I didn't have one to copy. He told me he would need the bike and it would take more time and cost of course goes up as the time increases.

Thanks for the help!! Would the key code come from the serial number or some other means?

If there are #'s on the lock next to where the key goes in, that is the # the locksmith will need, they also would need to know the make of motorcycle.

This worked for me and I hope it works for you. Good luck.

A competent locksmith can make you some keys without the number. Just take the locks to them. They might want some proof that you actually own the bike, but not all of them will want that.

the key code for hondas were on the bottom of the ign. switch and if you can unbolt the helmet lock it is on there also.