Sign in to follow this  

how much larger rear sprocket

what size rear sprocket can I go without replacing the chain?Also does the bike have more road noise without the rubber type stock sprocket Yamaha uses. Thanks Fd

Not sure you can really change the rear without adding a chain thats why most guys drop one on the front for that.

what size rear sprocket can I go without replacing the chain?Also does the bike have more road noise without the rubber type stock sprocket Yamaha uses. Thanks Fd

From my DRZ experiance, you can only add 1T to the rear w/o changing the chain. But beware, you reduce your adjustibility for the chain tension. You could drop the front 1T and I believe add 2T to the rear(equal to about 5.5 in the rear) but probally be at the end of your swingarm for adj.

From what I understand of the rubber, it is not for vibes, but for road noise.:)

You have to be able to move the rear axle forward about 5/8" to add 2T to the rear. I mean, the teeth are the same distance apart as the links, and the links are 5/8", right? I know there's two angles involved, but it should be close to 5/8".

Then you would still want a little room left over forward to be able to tighten the chain as it wears. So see if you can move the axle 1" forward, if so you are probably good:D

I know a number of folks here have changed rear sprockets, so I hope you can get some definitive replies on both the chain and the noise, 'cause I would like to know too:) I might change rear sprockets just to save unsprung weight if the noise and vibes are similar. I'd use lightweight steel if I can find one in 42T.