Sign in to follow this  

Yz250 Pipes????Not impressed w/platinum2

I'm in need of a new pipe for my 07 yz250, i bought a pro circuit platinum2 and im not to impressed with the pipe since i ride/race trails my pipe gets beat and the platinum2 is bigger and not as tight to the frame and motor compared to the stocker. :D

Also i heard the biggest power gain for a dirt bike is the pipe, once i bought the platinum 2 i didnt notice too much power gain but there is a little there, its only a little crisper and thats about it, i dont know if its just me expecting too much:bonk: or the pipe didnt give too much more or thats it u get out of a pipe. Should i keep the platinum2???:) even though its sticks out way more then stocker:confused:

im wondering if anyone has any input on the DEP pipes for performance and fit compared to stocker or platinum2

Try the sticky at the top of the page, there are plenty of comments on the different pipes.

Based on your experience with the platinum 2, I dont think the zip ty will do it for you. My description of it is very similar to your platinum 2.

The sticky is the best resource. There are also many of us would would say the stock pipe is the best. Very few gains to be had on the yz 250 with aftermarket pipes.

Now this is interesting because the folks over in the Kawasaki 2 stroke forum swear up and down how good th PC Plat 2 pipe is for their KDXs. Of course, any pipe is better than the stocker KDX pipe.:)

I had a Gnarly on my '04 and the results were good (more linear, explosive mid, etc.).

Hard to beat a good thang - ain't it (stocker).

i have a 07 and the stocker is best, for the price of your pipe you could have squished your head and added a powerblade thats the two best mods for the 07. search button on this site is your best friend,a lot of blue wizzie experts to help pass on their knowledge. phily cee

thanks for the info but what are "sticky"

At the top of the page 1 of the Yamaha 2 stroke forum there's 3 or 4 threads that were "stickied" to stay at the top for easy reference. Lemme know if you don't see them. You still got the stocker laying around?

I'm in need of a new pipe for my 07 yz250, i bought a pro circuit platinum2 and im not to impressed with the pipe since i ride/race trails my pipe gets beat and the platinum2 is bigger and not as tight to the frame and motor compared to the stocker. :D

Also i heard the biggest power gain for a dirt bike is the pipe, once i bought the platinum 2 i didnt notice too much power gain but there is a little there, its only a little crisper and thats about it, i dont know if its just me expecting too much:bonk: or the pipe didnt give too much more or thats it u get out of a pipe. Should i keep the platinum2???:) even though its sticks out way more then stocker:confused:

im wondering if anyone has any input on the FMF gnarly, DEP and Zip ty pipes for performance and fit compared to stocker or platinum2

Here's my 2 cents.

I have 2006 YZ250, a DEP Pipe and trail ride and race occasionally. It provides better pull down low, not dramatically better, but I'm usually able to run a gear higher than with the stock pipe on a given trail section, and the DEP has a lot more top end. Check out the YZ250 section of the 2003 Dirt Rider pipe test immediately below. Granted the test is from 2003, but if you notice when you shop for the different pipes, most of the aftermarket manufacturer's specify the same part number from 1999 to present for the YZ250, e.g. they sell you the same pipe no matter what year the bike. Also, you can buy a DEP pipe through Johnson MX Racing, see link at bottom of thread. I also have a GYTR flywheel weight which helps maintain momentum and traction. I tried a V-Force reed but since the reeds did not seal properly, it made the bike run rich and foul spark plugs. I put the stock reeds back in and everything has worked fine since. Jetting is 48 pilot and 172 main, stock needle and clip position, air screw 1.5 turns out, 30:1 yamalube, at sea level. During my typical riding season the air temperature runs between 40 - 80 degrees F. When the air temperature rises I mix the gas and oil at 28:1 to lean out the air fuel mixture.

Dirt Rider

Baseline: The YZ250 engine is so fine stock it's hard to even think about improving it. But like most things in the world, more of a good thing is always well received.

Bill's pipe and silencer Fit: A- / Overall Rating: B Comments: The candidate from Bill's earned marks for its extra bottom-end and mid pull but lost some points for going flat a little sooner than stock; overrev was about the same.

DEP pipe and silencer Fit: B / Overall Rating: A Comments: DEP must have done its homework with this unit. The power comes on sooner than stock and extends out longer in the mid. With this setup you can shift early or come out of a corner in a higher gear and it will pull it. This gift keeps giving, stretches up top further than stock and holds its power longer before falling off.

Doma pipe and silencer Fit: B / Overall Rating: B- Comments: The Doma experienced gains down low at the expense of some top and overrev. If you're looking for some bottom, the Doma may be just what the doctor ordered, but our test riders were not about to give up top and overrev.

FMF Factory Fatty with Shorty silencer Fit: A / Overall Rating: B Comments: The Factory pretty much mimics the Fatty to a T. On the track we were unable to notice any difference between the Factory and standard Fatty.

FMF Fatty with Shorty silencer Fit: A / Overall Rating: B Comments: The Fatty is a well-rounded system but doesn't harvest gains like some of the other units. It pulls longer in the mid but about the same as stock down low and up top.

FMF Gnarly with Shorty silencer Fit: A / Overall Rating: B Comments: The Gnarly builds more punch down low and holds each gear further than stock going through the mid but signs off too soon. With its smooth deployment, the Gnarly is best-suited for those who torque a bike around the track or direct their riding more to off-road.

FMF SST with Shorty silencer Fit: A / Overall Rating: B Comments: With such a broad power delivery, the SST caters to several facets of riding. The mid is smooth and extends further than stock. This is a good all-around system and may even work well for GP and desert-style riding and racing.

Pro Circuit Works and Factory Sound silencer Fit: A / Overall Rating: B+ Comments: The PC picked up a little down low while retaining much of the stock curves through the midrange. However, the PC exhaust kept pulling up top and supplied more overrev and usable power along the way. The added delivery allowed riders to hold second and third gear longer before shifting.

http://www.deppipesusa.com/

I still have the stocker but its beat up quite a bit

any info on how the DEP fits to the bike(does it hang down lower then the bottom of the frame and does it hang wider then the stocker, because the platinum2 does and id hate to bash a 300$$ pipe)

Very few gains to be had on the yz 250 with aftermarket pipes.

Here I beg to differ Roland.

I went from an 06 stocker to the 08 HGS and it was like adding 3 teeth to the back sprocket every where with the exception of just off idle were I would say the stocker is a bee's thingy stronger.

Once you open the throttle though there is no comparision.

On occasssions I have even contemplated putting the stocker back on to calm it down but I just can't do that if you know what I mean.

Here I beg to differ Roland.

I went from an 06 stocker to the 08 HGS and it was like adding 3 teeth to the back sprocket every where with the exception of just off idle were I would say the stocker is a bee's thingy stronger.

Once you open the throttle though there is no comparision.

On occasssions I have even contemplated putting the stocker back on to calm it down but I just can't do that if you know what I mean.

Your point is well taken. I should have said, "The brands I dealt with." I had the thought that he might be missing that hit right off of idle that the stock pipe has.

The HGS sounds great, but the cost is really high for us here in the US. Even if you could get a decent price on the pipe, shipping eats you alive.

If I have to spend 650.00 to get the good pipe and silencer, I think I might go another direction.

• Like 1

Your point is well taken. I should have said, "The brands I dealt with." I had the thought that he might be missing that hit right off of idle that the stock pipe has.

The HGS sounds great, but the cost is really high for us here in the US. Even if you could get a decent price on the pipe, shipping eats you alive.

If I have to spend 650.00 to get the good pipe and silencer, I think I might go another direction.

They are expensive unfortunately. There is not to many other routes that I have not already taken though. A mate hand carried it back from the middle east for me so that saved a bit.

They are expensive unfortunately. There is not to many other routes that I have not already taken though. A mate hand carried it back from the middle east for me so that saved a bit.

As far as being expensive.....they are, but even at close to 500.00 delivered it still undercuts the 4t exhaust prices. I would also rather spend 500.00 for somethign that works vs 250 for somethign that does not.

I still have the stocker but its beat up quite a bit

any info on how the DEP fits to the bike(does it hang down lower then the bottom of the frame and does it hang wider then the stocker, because the platinum2 does and id hate to bash a 300$$ pipe)

the DEP pipe may sit a little lower in the frame but not noticably. When comparing it to the stocker, it looks completely different. As far as the hit, it hits just as hard as the stock pipe but revs out longer which i like when im riding in sand.

Ive got my 06 with the DEP pipe and an fmf shorty, its an awesome combo and i really like the way the bike handles itself.

Also i heard the biggest power gain for a dirt bike is the pipe,

Not even close. An aftemarket pipe can be useful for fine-tuning the power curve to your liking, such as adding a bit of torque or stretching out the over-rev, But on most late-model two-strokes there is not a big performance increase to had with a pipe. It's all in the porting. If you really want big performance increases over stock, porting and head work are the way to go. And a nice bonus is that a good port and head job is less costly than a typical pipe.

Not even close. An aftemarket pipe can be useful for fine-tuning the power curve to your liking, such as adding a bit of torque or stretching out the over-rev, But on most late-model two-strokes there is not a big performance increase to had with a pipe. It's all in the porting. If you really want big performance increases over stock, porting and head work are the way to go. And a nice bonus is that a good port and head job is less costly than a typical pipe.

Glad to see you back! This must mean your son:ride: is doing better!

Glad to see you back! This must mean your son:ride: is doing better!
He is improving.

:)

He's off the respirator, and going through the difficult process of being weined off of all the narcotics.

And right now he's sleeping, so I don't have much to do besides go online or read...:D

I ride a FMF Gnarly and i think it doe's make the bike a little less rippy but gives alot more at the low and mid end and isn't far off from the top end hit of the stocker. I ride enduro's and i think its a much better pipe for the job or woods riding + its made of a thicker guage steel to so it can take some abuse!!