Sign in to follow this  

starting my xrl

I have a 2000 XR650L that is hard to start. It turns over fine but if it doesn't fire at the begining of the crank it won't fire.

When cold I choke it and go half choke after it fires (usally). When its warm it starts better but still will only fire at the beginning of the crank.

I have not done anything to it yet other than put a FMF Q2 can on it. I have the dynojet kit and uni filter for it, just have not had time to install it.

What am I doing wrong?

Is the bike 100% stock right now? If so, I would make sure the valves are properly adjusted. That is usually a main cause of hard starting outside of something carb- or ignition-related.

Is the bike 100% stock right now? If so, I would make sure the valves are properly adjusted. That is usually a main cause of hard starting outside of something carb- or ignition-related.

its a 2000 with 6,800 miles on it. I have no idea what maintenace has been done on it? Guess I'll check the valves. Sure sounds better with the FMF can on it. No more Volkswagen sound.

I have a '99 with about 10,000 miles on it. The PO did Dave's mods, and I'm running a Uni with the stock pipe. I give it half choke when cold only, and it seems to fire right up with a touch of throttle added. After idling for just 20-30 seconds I turn the choke off and it seems to run great. I never need the choke again unless it's all the way cold again.

How's your plug? Have you at least done Dave's mods? If no to both (or either), I would start there. These are the two cheapest and easiest things in my opinion...hope this helps!

Sure sounds better with the FMF can on it. No more Volkswagen sound.

So it's been rejetted? What does the plug look like?

I have a 2000 XR650L that is hard to start. It turns over fine but if it doesn't fire at the begining of the crank it won't fire.

When cold I choke it and go half choke after it fires (usally). When its warm it starts better but still will only fire at the beginning of the crank.

I have not done anything to it yet other than put a FMF Q2 can on it. I have the dynojet kit and uni filter for it, just have not had time to install it.

What am I doing wrong?

So I guess it's stock:excuseme: Lean to start with, you put on the new muffler, now leaner:eek: . Rejet & install filter, check valves & :):D

The can didn't change the hard start for better or worse. It is stock excpt the can.

I hope to put in the dynojet kit and uni filter next wk.

Love the bike!

dynojet, uni, fmf q2, new plug, it still starts but barely...

now it starts hard warm too.

dynojet, uni, fmf q2, new plug, it still starts but barely...

now it starts hard warm too.

Intermittently, or all the time? Check the spark quality when it happens. Also, you may just try to remove the resistor from the spark plug boot cap and install a suitable length piece of a conductor in its place. It may have extremely high resistance by corrosion or other poor contact. Worth a shot.

Still havent checked the valves yet but, I did rejet and it runs great! Wow.

I am 3 for 3 starting it cold with 1/2 choke so far... I hope its that simple.

The de-smog thing solved all the backfiring problems.

You were just way to lean as suspected. I had the same problem,It got better with Daves mods,but wasn't totally under control

untill I went with a diff carb. Having a new battery this season has made an improvement.

Still havent checked the valves yet but, I did rejet and it runs great! Wow.

I am 3 for 3 starting it cold with 1/2 choke so far... I hope its that simple.

The de-smog thing solved all the backfiring problems.

It probably is that simple, I did the Mods and now only have to half choke it for about 5-10 seconds on cold starts. If you still get some backfire, richen the adjustment screw a little.

With the Dave's mods, you'll also notice that if you give it a good amount of throttle in first now, the front tire will magically levitate!!!👍

I like what another user suggested about the CDI. I have an '08 XRL, and while I have not had the problem that you are having, I have cranked the starter on it a couple times with the panic switch (by the throttle) in the "off" position- and while the starter is engaged, it will start momentarily! Is this a flaw in the switch? Or CDI related? I am not one to fix what isn't broke- aso until reliability becomes an issue, I won't bother. But maybe the guts of your switch are malfunctioning like mine?

my xrl is still giving me problems, now that its getting colder it won't start. Full choke leads to backfiring at some point. When it does fire it won't stay running for over a second of so.

Once, it gets warm it starts fine, or did anyway. And it runs great?

I still don't get it.

my xrl is still giving me problems, now that its getting colder it won't start. Full choke leads to backfiring at some point. When it does fire it won't stay running for over a second of so.

Once, it gets warm it starts fine, or did anyway. And it runs great?

I still don't get it.

Sounds like contaminated fuel to me. I would drain your float bowl out, change your spark plug, and see if it does ya good. I am sure it is something simple. I remember those cold MI Septembers.. lol.. Don't miss it a bit!