Sign in to follow this  

Not starting and a bad noise...sometimes

My DRZ is sick again. the 2nd time in 2 trips to work that it's left me stranded. when I hit the starter it sounds like there is no compression. almost like the starter isn't spinning the engine. When it's cranking, there is a noise like gear teeth skipping or something like that. It seems like the noise is once per revolution.

The first time it happened I rode to work, it was running great, parked it and everything was normal. came out after work and it did this. I was thinking primary nut, starter clutch, the usual. got it home in the pickup and hit the starter the next day to see if I could pinpoint where the noise was coming from and it fired right up and sounded completely normal. I pulled the side covers and valve cover and did the primary nut fix, it was still tight, and locktited the starter clutch and stator bolts. checked the cam chain(haven't got around to the the MCCT yet) and valve lash. valves haven't changed in the last 1000 mi. cam chain seems to be good and the timing marks line up exactly like they are supposed to.

AFter I got it back together I rode it aroung the house for a while a couple times and never could get the problem to repeat itself. so I took it to work again yesterday. same thing. no start after sitting all day. ran fine all the way there. so I tried to compression start it and got the noise every time the motor spun over.

Any ideas where I should look for this problem. I can't seem to duplicate the problem at home. it started right up this morning again. it's not very often that i'm lost when it comes to an engine, but this one has me stumped.

Thanks,

Jesse

Maybe there's a bent or broken tooth on the starter motor gear/sprocket? Or some debris floating around the starter motor chamber?

Maybe the auto decompression mechanism on the exhaust cam isn't working properly....

When one turns the motor over by hand slowly, the mechanism allows for decompression. Once running, the centrifugal force should spin it out, allowing full compression.

So, either you have a starter and gears issue, or maybe a decompression issue...

Since you say it sounds like it's ticking once per revolution, I'd check the decompression first.

If the motor isn't turning at all, take the little starter cover off and have a look...

I'd also maybe try another spark plug... Maybe there's just no spark...

I was kinda thinking starter clutch. I got it all apart except that. I'm waiting for the flywheel puller to get here. Sounds like a good time to do a couple things that I wanted to get done anyway. I think she'll go back together with an E base gasket, MCCT, Kick start, and the free power mod. Thanks guys.

Jesse

Why would it not bump start then, or be intermittent? Good/bad spot on the starter clutch/mechanism?

Eddie, at what rpm does the decompressor disengage? Is it at starter turn-over speed? Or is the decomp only just enough to allow the starter to turn the motor but it still generates enough compression to fire and combust? Which then lets it release once the motor spins up?

Just trying to grasp the function....

The decomp only engages when the engine is cranking. Only way it could fail that I can imagine is if it never engaged. That would cause MORE compression, not less

All the decomp does is increase the duration (relatively) of the exhaust cam. Maybe if the unit spun on the cam (would partially open the valve at the wrong time) it would cause problems, but that seems pretty unlikely

The decomp only engages when the engine is cranking. Only way it could fail that I can imagine is if it never engaged. That would cause MORE compression, not less

All the decomp does is increase the duration (relatively) of the exhaust cam. Maybe if the unit spun on the cam (would partially open the valve at the wrong time) it would cause problems, but that seems pretty unlikely

I get what you are saying, to an extent...

The decomp relies on rpm to release/disengage, hence working during cranking. If it failed, you'd get standard compression, not more? That would strain the starter, since it's chugging the full compression, instead of a partially reduced one...

Since it is mechanical, with the arm pulling the little dowel in, is it possible it could stick open after shut down on occasion? That's what I was alluding to...

Sorry to confuse the issue.... Maybe it's not that complicated and I'm over thinking, lol...

your not going to salv this one buy chatting on the net

you need to get your eyeball on the parts in question

this means pull it apart

after removing the starter parts and maybe the spark plug

can you turn the motor over freely with your fingers on the flywheel ( yes you will feal the valve springs working agenst the cam ) but do you feal aney other bad things like grinding or valve tapping the piston