Sign in to follow this  

Suspension Questions

These are definitely newbie questions...Just watched the Rocky Mountain MC video for changing the seals in dual chamber forks....

This looked really easy by the way...a little investment for a few special tools but...definitely worth doing it yourself...ok question time...

1. How often do you all change seals? Do you wait for them to go out or every year?

2. If I went through the process of changing the seals...which includes oil and such...what then is a "revalve"...Could I just throw in heavier oil and stiffer springs to make it more fat guy friendly or is there more involved with a revalve?

I change my seal once they leak(but thats just me)

To "revalve" is just change a peice that fits inside ur forks/shock that changes the passage way the oil in the forks flow through for a better and plusher ride

Correct me if im wrong but im 99.999% sure thats it(might not be the best explanation)

A revalve is a LOT more complicated than that!! I'm no expert, but on my 06 YZ forks I have 3 stacks of shims, each stack consists anywhere from 10-20 shims. These stack 'usually' end up looking like a small pyramid, depending on the size and shape of this pyramid (there are hundreds if not thousands of different valve stacks) will change the feel of the forks.

Okay, that is a VERY basic idea, but comparing changing oil and springs to a revalve is no comparison

I've only changed seals when they started leaking, a couple weeks ago the YZ started doing this. This time instead of replacing them I tried cleaning with the film negative trick. It worked! The oil I change periodically, but not too often. As for the revalve, check out the DYI (do it yourself) sticky in the CRF450R forum. They are Showa twin chambers but you'll get a good idea (pics and diagrams) of what Yroc's telling you.

• Like 1