Sign in to follow this  

Oil, oil, oil...maybe uh-oh!

Dang, I'm having trouble getting my oil situation straight. Allow me to 'splain myself....

The previous owner of my '99 L used regular motor oil, and said he changed it every 500 miles. I have no reason to question that. It runs great and leaks zero. Since I like Amsoil so much (I run it in my car and minivan), I changed to that...then it leaked at the head gasket (a lot!). So I did a little checking, and was told that Honda semi-syn is good stuff and shouldn't leak. So I switched...and the leak went away (I posted about this previously). Nice. Okay...so now I know what to use.

Well, I was at the dealer today picking something up for my daughters bike, and decided to pick up some oil and a filter for my L since I'm sure it'll be due for a change soon. Egads...I realized that I accidently used the Honda semi-syn WITH Moly last time...so that's what I've been running in my cycle for 400 miles or so!!! Oh man...I can't believe I made this mistake! I was in a huge rush last time I changed it...I wanted to get that Amsoil out of the engine (it's hard for me to say that) before I went on a long dual sport ride in the Michigan Upper Peninsula. So I guess I was in such a rush that I goofed when I picked up that oil last time (it's even HARDER for me to say THAT!!). :):D

Soooo...here's the deal....the bike has been running great. The clutch certainly doesn't slip or anything like that. I wonder if I goofed anything up by using the oil that has moly in it? I'll for sure change it out before I ride again, but I sure would appreciate any opinions on whether or not I might have made a mistake that could have hurt my engine/tranny/clutch internals by running that oil WITH moly in it!! Thanks for all replies...

Some people will tell you that there are multiple moly compounds that get used in oil and that only molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) will glaze the clutch. I have only heard this through the gapevine, so take it for what it's worth. I have not really researched it, but it sounds plausible.

I really doubt you did anything that will harm the clutch in the short or long run. The moly certainly wouldn't hurt anything else. It would be good to have in the oil if it wasn't for the wet clutch. Besides, the only slipping clutch stories(no credible first-hand accounts so far) I have heard involved using oil with moly over long periods of time.

I'm not sure why Honda would market a motorcycle oil if you couldn't use it with a wet clutch. Did the bottle say anything about that?

As far as I know the moly is only a problem for the clutch. The rest of the engine probably likes it better than oil without moly. As long as your clutch isn't slipping you should be OK. Moly doesn't really damage the clutch. It just makes it more likely to slip. When it starts slipping the resulting heat frys the friction material on the plates and ruins them.

As soon as you change to non moly oil any moly that did get into the clutch should slowly come out.

Thanks guys...I sure do appreciate your feedback (anyone else??). Headtrauma, Honda markets both types...I just happened to pick up the wrong type by accident the first time because I was in a hurry to change the oil before leaving for a weekend ride and I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the labels. The labels are very clear about with or without moly, and the plastic container is actually a different color as well (gold versus silver). It's not Honda's fault, it's mine...I can't believe I did that...I should have known better. That's what happens when you're in a hurry! I'll change the oil and hopefully the clutch is fine.

OK, I think you are fine. Just get the oil you wish to use and change it soon.

I can vouch first hand for clutch problems with "energy conserving" oils. In my '83 Maxim XJ750. I bought this bike from the orig. owner that put 18K. miles on it.

The clutch slipped pretty good on the test ride. I got back and found he had been using sub-par **** brand oil in it as of late.

I bought the bike and immediately switched to Castrol GTX 20w-50 (Non-energy conserving). The slip went away in about 50 miles!

I can powershift in any gear and clutch engagement is immediate.

Two types of oil, huh? I think that's rather strange considering that about 99% of the bikes Honda sells have wet clutches.

Anyway, if it's any consolation, I have been using Chevron Delo 400 for about 4 years now and Delo 400 has a much higher moly level than the Rotella that everyone recommends(although I don't know which moly). So far, my clutch seems normal and I have no idea how much use it saw before I bought the bike.

I say don't worry about it. :)

Besides, the "moly oil" you used may not have the "bad" kind. :D I really need to research that.....