Sign in to follow this  

eibach springs installed, how to set them?

I just got both front and rear springs in, had front only for a little bit cause I managed to snap my 19mm socket on one of the rocker arm bolts :) anyway its all off and done now. First question I have though is when reassembling the shock am I supposed to use any of the original pieces or just slide the spring and emulator in and thats it?

Next thing is when I had only the front springs in they still felt a little undersprung or underdamped for harder/faster hits, slow speed stuff was brilliant it absorbed almost everything but when I pick up some speed it gets a bit harsher and also diving under braking was still a little more than i'd like. Don't get me wrong its MUCH better than stock and my braking distance is a good 30% less with the braided brake line as well but still not brilliant. I thought maybe I should up the preload but now that i've installed the rear shock the ass end is sitting quite a bit higher and thats basically preloading the front which as jesse said makes it a bit harsher and not as plush. I've got the shock installed in the lower mounting hole so I think i'll swap it to the upper hole to lower it. Also I have no idea what preload i'm running on the back but it seems to be the opposite of the front, little less plush but perfectly sprung for my weight. I think again this is because the bike is angled forward a bit more cause its sitting much higher now that i'm not running a rubber band for suspension

So what would you guys recommend? I weigh about 80kg and want as plush a ride as possible mainly for road use. Should I up the fork oil weight or increase/decrease preload on either end? what are other people running

Spring rates are .48kg front and 7.6kg rear

When you installed the front springs did you have to add a spacer on top of the original spacer. To make up for the fact that the eibach springs are a little shorter. For the back the softest you can go would be to just have the nut and lock nut just up enough so the spring has no play up and down... I just installed some .47 and 8kg on mine for a two week trip i did . Made a lot of difference then what it would have been standard.

I just removed the original spacer completely and cut the tube to roughly 85mm, not a perfectly straight cut which I guess doesn't help, flat side is facing down on the springs though so thats laying flat and not bowing the springs any. I seriously think I just need stiffer springs in the front but I can't exactly pop around to see jesse for a swap. Yeah its definately better than stock in every single area, its more plush but also firmer at the same time. Just thinking it could have been even better