Sign in to follow this  

650L engine temps indicated, just fyi...

I have a Trail-Tech Vapor, and have the temp. pickup located on a head bolt on the front/right side of the head. I plan to re-locate the pickup to the spark-plug one of these days, but the sensor was the wrong size that came with my kit, so I mounted it under a head bolt just for now.

Anyway, when I ride casually around town, my temps indicate up to around 200...sometimes a little bit more. When I trail ride, usually I'm following my kids in first or second gear, speed is 8-14mph (today on the trails, outside temps in the low 80's) - indicated engine temps are 240-290 (higher when going slow and lugging up sandy hills slowly, then falling back once I can get some air flowing again). When I park the bike on the trail while taking a break (engine off), the temps soar to 315 or so...then fall back down after a bit. When around 300, if I start it up and take right off, the temp almost immediately falls to around 270 (airflow knocks it right down).

I have noticed that my top-end gets louder when it's really hot. This tends to happen when I shut it off on the tight trails when I take a break, then re-start it before very long. It quiets down when I speed up to get some airflow and allow the rpms to be up a bit (not lugging it along) - obviously the airflow cools it, and the higher rpms flow oil better.

I think that my temp readings are a bit on the high side since the sensor is on a front bolt above the exhaust bolt. I'm interested to know how the temps will read once I use the sensor around the spark plug base...I'll post and let you all know. Any thoughts??

I look forward to the results of putting the sensor under the spark plug.

I think that doing so will probably give a better average head temp than the head bolt now. However, cylinder head temps below ~375 on an air cooled engine is actually fairly good. The cylinder head temp is just about always going to be higher than the actual oil temp. Maybe you could put the sensor under the cylinder head oil banjo bolt to get oil temp.....