Sign in to follow this  

Ready racing oil filter install?

I was rushed to get out of the house tonight and could not remember how to install the filter. Does the spring go in first followed by the closed end of the filter?

Im pretty sure I put the spring in first, then the metal end, and the rubber end towards the outside stuck on the aftermarket cover.

I would think it would be just like stock... Put a little grease on the end of the spring to hold it in its little indention in the filter hole. Then stick in the oil filter (closed end), then the filter cover. The rubber gromet will go into the filter cover .

Open end of the filter goes in first. If you put the closed end in first, it blocks off the oil flow. Very bad news when that happens.:) Open end goes in first, then the spring goes on outside, between the cover and the filter.

Better than the disposable filters IMO. Said to last the life of your bike as well. Pays for itself after a few oil changes, plus the filter cover looks pretty cool. :)

I get the hi flo filters from the TT store for $2.66 each. Change them every 10 hrs. Oil is changed after every ride.

My comments/question for the re usable filters is, is the filtering quality as good as paper? And when you clean it, are you really getting 100% of the stuff out. With the paper filters you chuck all of the stuff it cleaned from your oil.

Open end of the filter goes in first. If you put the closed end in first, it blocks off the oil flow. Very bad news when that happens.👍 Open end goes in first, then the spring goes on outside, between the cover and the filter.

I did it the way the 2 guys said above and raced 4 motos on sunday with no problem. I think your kawi is different. I have an 06 crf 250.

I get the hi flo filters from the TT store for $2.66 each. Change them every 10 hrs. Oil is changed after every ride.

My comments/question for the re usable filters is, is the filtering quality as good as paper? And when you clean it, are you really getting 100% of the stuff out. With the paper filters you chuck all of the stuff it cleaned from your oil.

Not to get technical... The ready filters claim to filter particles up to 35 microns, which is about 1.38 thousandths of an inch. The human hair is 4 thousandths. I'd say the filtering quality is just fine. As far as cleaning them, i just use some pj1 contact cleaner and blast it clean. Works perfectly.

Open end of the filter goes in first. If you put the closed end in first, it blocks off the oil flow. Very bad news when that happens.👍 Open end goes in first, then the spring goes on outside, between the cover and the filter.

Not on the Hondas .

I did it the way the 2 guys said above and raced 4 motos on sunday with no problem. I think your kawi is different. I have an 06 crf 250.

Yep you're right. I checked the fiche for your bike, honda does use the spring in front. I stand corrected. 👍 I wonder why they do that. I understand putting on the outside to hold tension on the filter, but putting it on the inside would push the filter away from the engine, right?

And push the filter into the filter cover which has four oil passageways - one in the middle that the filter goes into, two on bottom and one on top.

And push the filter into the filter cover which has four oil passageways - one in the middle that the filter goes into, two on bottom and one on top.

Makes sense....