Sign in to follow this  

fork oil

Yes, I run a product from Auto Zone called Trick Shift from B&M. It works great it is sythetic and anti foaming. I run it in forks and shock with no problems.

Why would you want to run anything but a purpose designed fluid?

Mark

because its cheaper and works just as well. thier just hydraulic shocks and atf is hydraulic oil. the first time i used it was for a quick fix because we had a ride planned the next day and thats all i had. it was in my sons 03 rm 125 and he said it rode and felt way better than it did before so i left it in and havent had any probles yet.

rock oil, use it for my motorbike and mountain bike forks pretty cheap

because its cheaper and works just as well.

I would disagree that it works just as well. It may work, but in no way is ATF formulated for use in a hydraulic damping system. And how cheap does it need to be? Fork oil is only a few bucks for enough to do both forks easily. I will not scrimp to save $10 or less when I can have the real thing in the viscosity I want. Seems like a false economy to me.

YMMV, however.

Mark

when u have 5 bikes to work on price makes a big diffrence. and if it can run 50000 miles in a trans it can last 20 hours in a bike.

It is a little less money but best it holds up longer. I change my oil about 3times a year I do it my self and it always comes out looking new. The stuff I use is blue in color. When I used fork oil its always dirty and comes out like water. The high performance ATF synthetic works great for me.By the way I could probably get away with changing it one time a year.To each his own.

ATF works outstanding as hydraulic fluid. why? because every BMW i've ever seen, from the mid 90's to the new ones where you can't check the engine fluid, runs ATF in the steering pump.

as long as your forks are valved for its weight. why shouldn't it work. plus, tranny's hit way higher temps than a little two-fitty 'f'