Sign in to follow this  

A few XR250R Upgrades in progress (pics)

I figured I would post pics of a few of the mods I am doing to my 2003 XR250R.

I ditched the old Bridgestone M23 and replaced it with a Dunlop D952F.

It's supposed to be a much better tire for the loose dirt and sandy conditions in the SoCal desert areas where I'm riding. The rear seems to hook up just fine, but I wanted a little more traction in the front in sandy areas.

0816080001.jpg

Took my forks off and dropped them off at XR's Only today. They are going to revalve them for the .47kg Eibach springs I am running for my 253lb self.

0816080003.jpg

New Vapor Trail Tech with the billet mount they sell for it. I got some flange bolts that were 8mm longer then stock for the handlebars to make up for the mounting flange. I was thinking about using studs with two nuts instead, but this way seems plenty solid enough.

0816080005.jpg

This is a spacer from XR's Only that allows removal of the spedo gear.

0816080004.jpg

Eibach 12kg rear spring

0816080006.jpg

UNI filter with airbox snorkel removed

0816080007.jpg

• Like 1

love the Vapor:applause:

D952 is a decent tire, but I prefer 756 in the dez

Hey the updates look good. Did you powdercoat the spring?

Hey the updates look good. Did you powdercoat the spring?

It's an Eibach 12kg. I can get them for $85, if anyone needs one, lmk!

I get good prices on anything from Eibach for that matter, usually I just sell their car springs, I didn't even know they made motorcycle springs until a few weeks ago lol

looks great... how much are you paying for the forks?

So far the quote was $160 for the revalve with the forks off the bike already, and about $35 for seals and $18 for oil. Seems fairly reasonable to me, I could get the oil for less but it's nice to just drop off the forks and have it done right. Most things I do myself, but valving is something that takes experience and trial and error, so I don't mind paying for that.

love the Vapor:applause:

D952 is a decent tire, but I prefer 756 in the dez

I read a bunch or reviews on both of those tires and people's opinon generally was that the D952 was pretty good tire all around, I figure I'll try it out and if it doesn't do what I want I'll try the 756 next time.

I got the front tire at Chaparral Motorsports, I freakin love that place! :) I think it was $52 iirc. I bought the tire installation tools and put it on myself. It was the first time I changed a motorcycle tire, but it was not too bad at all, just like a big bicycle tire.

UPDATE

Well the revalve at XR's Only didn't quite go as planned :worthy: I found out after they pulled the forks apart that there was no valving they could get for the xr250r forks, and that the recommended valving for my weight was what was already in there as stock. 👍 From what I could understand from their explanation, the shims are all the same diameter (rather then tapered from top to bottom) and are smaller then normal off-road motorcycle forks, plus they are inside of some sort of cage that does not allow for them to use larger diameter shims from another fork. It wasn't all bad though, they did a very nice rebuild job on the forks while they were apart. They polished the fork legs and got them looking brand new again, installed new seals, and put in some high quality 7.5 weight oil, plus raised the oil level a little over stock. I only rode it around the block a few times tonight, but my first impression is they they feel noticeably more plush and smooth in their operation. Since they couldn't valve them as we intended to do, they gave me a discount, which was nice of them. Plus I was running late because of traffic on the way to pick them up and they waited up for me after closing time. I was happy with the service overall, I've been in that type of situation before in my business so I could understand. I would still recommend XR's Only to a friend, I am just stating this to help someone else out with the same bike wanting to do a revalve, and/or to get some feedback about the shim issue.

0903080001.jpg

I liked this unit so much I bought another one for my quad when I went to XR's Only to pick up the forks LOL

0903080002.jpg

Here's the spedo gear delete installed.

0903080004.jpg

Well last weekend we went up to Silverwood Lake again for some trail riding. Not even 5 minutes into our ride I was too far ahead of my buddy and my girlfriend on their quads, so I stopped to look back and wait. I didn't notice I had stopped sideways on an incline and when I went to put a foot down there was no ground there to put my foot :D So I dropped it on it's side, and the handlebar dug in the dirt. :ride: It was fine until I tried to bend the clutch lever back straight and the bracket broke and the lever was just dangling. :worthy: That sucked because I didn't have a replacement and we didn't even get a chance to really ride yet. So I had an idea, I told my friend to cut a length of his shoe lace off for a quick fix! It ended up working great all day, and we rode about 40 miles total and had a great time.

Here's my MacGyver-esque trailside clutch lever fix:

trailfix.jpg

Here's the new lever installed, notice it has a small decompression lever built in. I like it a lot more then that goofy big black stock lever that used to hang down.

newdecompressionlever.jpg

Hopefully this feature might stop it from breaking if I ever lay it down again:

foldbacklever.jpg

Here's the new matching brake lever:

newbrakelever.jpg

I also picked this up, because the damn stock shifter would bend every time I rode it and it started to wear a slot in the engine case!

newshiftlever.jpg

With the new levers and the Vapor, I think it really makes the bike look a lot more modern.

newleversandvapor.jpg

I was thinking of getting the Vapor or Vector mine.

Since our bikes have no battery and the power from the stator, how does the computer react when the engine is switched off and back on?

Which option for the tach did you use? Accurate?

A cheap way to go on the front forks is get a pair of xr400 forks of ebay, they have much better travel and comp and rebound settings and they will slide right up in the xr250 triple clamps.

Then Revalve those!

I did it, and then sold my old 250 forks for 100 bucks. The 400 forks cost me $160..

I found out after they pulled the forks apart that there was no valving they could get for the xr250r forks, and that the recommended valving for my weight was what was already in there as stock. :D

According to the XR's Only website they use race-tech suspension components. The available parts for an '03 XR250R are here. (Look at the Type 1 Gold Valve Kit?)

Where did you get those nifty levers from? I like the small decompression lever.

According to the XR's Only website they use race-tech suspension components. The available parts for an '03 XR250R are here. (Look at the Type 1 Gold Valve Kit?)

Where did you get those nifty levers from? I like the small decompression lever.

I did find out about the race-tech valving, but it was $180 just for the valving alone (read: >$400 total), and as mentioned earlier I could get XR400 forks for less then that. After they did the rebuild on mine and installed a small spring spacer with 7.5 weight oil, I can't imagine them working any better then they do. It's super nice over rocks, whoops and small jumps, and it doesn't bottom out.

The levers were $95 for the pair at Bert's Mega Mall, I picked them up in person because I live near them. http://www.bertsmegamall.com

They are the ASV F1 levers, part# BCF14.

I was thinking of getting the Vapor or Vector mine.

Since our bikes have no battery and the power from the stator, how does the computer react when the engine is switched off and back on?

Which option for the tach did you use? Accurate?

The Vapor is awesome, it has a battery with an auto off feature. It is in sleep mode with just the clock until it senses movement of the wheel sensor, then it turns on with no backlight. You can manually turn the backlight on with battery power, but only one of the backlights come on in that case. When you start the engine, all the backlights all come on, and it runs off the motorcycle's power. It's interesting to see your top speed and max rpm, along with distance traveled. I have no problems seeing it in bright sunlight, but honestly I can't really look at it unless I am going slow or stopped, so the peak hold functions are nice.

This was the peak hold screen after 15 miles of trail riding:

DSCF6426Small.jpg

The rpm sensing is just the tach wire wrapped around the spark plug wire, it works perfect there. When I tried to hard wire it to the coil the rpm was all over the place. I tried pulling power from several places, but still the rpm was erratic. After I just wrapped the wire around the plug wire a few times it, was spot on.

DSCF6415Small.jpg

I put the engine temp sensor on the oil return line from the head, the highest I have seen it get to is about 290deg max, no matter how hard I rode. When moving the temp is much lower. Seems ok to me for an air cooled engine, but I am honestly not sure what would be considered too high temp. I would think that where it is mounted would be more of a cylinder head temp measurement then an oil temp measurement.

DSCF6412Small.jpg

Heat? Temps?

My Water cooled xr650r runs between 200-225 all day long (have temp sensor)

My aircooled xr250r runs between 225-250 most of the Time.

I have got the 250 up to 290-300 once in the sand dunes....NOT GOOD!

Most of the time I stop and take a break if it gets over 250...

Heat equals power loss and possible damage...

I know nothing is wrong with my engine, it runs strong and has very low miles, doesn't burn oil, plug looks perfect after a hard ride. When I am moving the temp shows around 250-260, it's only when I first come to a stop and it heat soaks that the temp climbs. If you're only seeing 225 degrees, maybe you're not riding fast enough?!? :D

This is a spacer from XR's Only that allows removal of the spedo gear.

what is the part number for the spacer? I am wanting to order the same set up with the Vapor and spacer for my xr 250r 202

Is the gear lever you got a strong one. I also find mine is cutting a gouge in the cases, but it needs to be for a big foot also. Sometimes the standard one seems to bend like toffee.