When did they changed the alu frame on CR250?

Honda's 3rd (and Final) generation 2-stroke 250 aluminum frame started in Model Year 2002 and runs through today.

1997 - 1999 = Gen 1

2000 - 2001 = Gen 2

2002 - present = Gen 3

There's a STICKY at the top of this forum that calls out all the changees, by year, for you...

Honda's 3rd (and Final) generation 2-stroke 250 aluminum frame started in Model Year 2002 and runs through today.

1997 - 1999 = Gen 1

2000 - 2001 = Gen 2

2002 - present = Gen 3

There's a STICKY at the top of this forum that calls out all the changees, by year, for you...

thanks =)

You are welcome. I am partial to the Gen-3, myself, but with CR500 motors stuffed into them. Actually, the 125 frames are very nice, too, with a 500 in them. Both of these frames turn on a dime and go very well straight (no headshake) but they do feel like a bmx bike when in the air. You get used to it!

One note: You need to get some lower/rearward pegs (I use Fastway Pegs in the Lowboy position), higher bars (I use Renthal FatBar Ricky Carmichael High Bends) and maybe a taller seat (SDG Tall, or make a tall seat...) if you are 6' or taller, in my opinion. I feel cramped while riding on them if they are all stock and I'm only 6'1".

Ed

You are welcome. I am partial to the Gen-3, myself, but with CR500 motors stuffed into them. Actually, the 125 frames are very nice, too, with a 500 in them. Both of these frames turn on a dime and go very well straight (no headshake) but they do feel like a bmx bike when in the air. You get used to it!

One note: You need to get some lower/rearward pegs (I use Fastway Pegs in the Lowboy position), higher bars (I use Renthal FatBar Ricky Carmichael High Bends) and maybe a taller seat (SDG Tall, or make a tall seat...) if you are 6' or taller, in my opinion. I feel cramped while riding on them if they are all stock and I'm only 6'1".

Ed

Good to know. i am 180cm tall. dont know what that is in feet,,

Ed

I am 6'5" tall and run Renthal twin wall 997's. and everything else stock on my 02 CR250R. I have more room on this than any other bike I have ridden. and i have been riding for 28 years. been 6'5" since 1987. my 93 CR250 was great too. my 95 KX felt cramped and my 99 YZ250 was very cramped had to run tall seat and clamp risers.

my 04 KTM250sx was good but still alittle more cramped than this.

A tall seat made me feel like I was sitting on top of the bike and the foam broke down to feel like a stock seat anyway so I stick to stocks now. Have never tried lowboy pegs. anyhow. I know this was way off subject but had to comment on sizes.

oh and in 99 they did change the Rake and Trail of the Frame but it was still a 1st Gen class frame. 00 and 01 are the same, and 02-07 are the same. and 08 on are no more:banghead:

• 5 years later...

Ed

What do you guys know about the 2000 frame's rigidity?  I just bought a 2000 model CR 500 AF.  It's the Gen II frame, not like the '96 - '99 frames that were so stiff, like trying to run with you knees locked.  Suspension work can't make up for everything that the frame is lacking (forgiveness).

What are the pros and cons of the Gen II frame compared to the more modern ones?

Damn, a 6-yr old thread... a lot has changed since then... the newer the frame, the newer the suspension settings, etc... You can get any AF to be a great bike though, and if you don't like the way the bike you just bought handles, it's easy enough to get the suspension revalved. Just be sure to send it somewhere that has AF revalving experience!

Edited by Eddie8v